Sunday, August 30, 2015

Mineral Ridge Miners


O is for Ohio-Mineral Ridge Miners from Celeste Friedman on Vimeo.

I understand that most of the images in this video are not from Mineral Ridge.  Even so, I think it gives a good feel for the work of coal miners.  Watching and listening, I feel sorry for the men, boys, and animals who spent so much of their lives underground without the benefit of daylight performing such labor-intensive work.

I do not have ancestors who mined coal in Mineral Ridge, but I have coal-mining ancestors in other parts of Ohio and Pennsylvania.

--Nancy.
.

2 comments:

  1. I have maybe a handful of distant relatives through collateral lines who were coal miners. I shudder when I read the occupation even though I don't really know what that life was like. Maybe they liked it; maybe they were grateful to be employed, period. I'm sure photos and stories such as this touch the surface of what life was like day in and day out for years and years. I do hope that the immigrants who came looking for a better life actually found it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they were grateful to have employment but from everything I've read, it was dark, dirty, and physically hard work. Have you read How Green Was My Valley? It takes place in Scotland or Wales in the late 1800s. It's been a while since I read it but I got a sense of how hard it might have been for the women waiting for them men to return, uncertain every day whether there would be a fire or other problem in the mines.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...