Monday, November 15, 2010

"Entered Into Rest" - An Obituary Transcription for Elizabeth Armitage Meinzen

Below is a loving and heart-felt obituary for my great-grandmother, Elizabeth (Armitage) Meinzen, who died of cancer of the face in 1920. I have to say, though, I wonder if the writer was in training and a supervisor didn't review and edit the obituary. I'm out of breath after reading the second sentence.

Mrs. Henry C. Meinzen
Mrs. Elizabeth Armitage Meinzen, beloved wife of Henry Meinzen, entered into rest after prolonged illness at her home, 1829 Market street, on Saturday, June 26, 1920, at 8:30 p.m., aged 68 years. She was a daughter of Abel Armitage and was born in England on Aug. 24, 1852 and came to this country in her youth and was married to Henry C. Meinzen, fifty years ago, and has been a resident of this city for some time, and beloved by family and friends for her many noble traits of character[.] She leaves to mourn the loss of a devoted wife and mother her husband and four daughters, Mrs. Charles Sticker, Mrs. Russell Rhome, Mrs. George Harris, Mrs.. Benj. Hashman, of this city, and two sons, Robert Meinzen, of Warren, Ohio, and Henry Meinzen, of Youngstown, and nineeteen grandchildren.
The Steubenville Herald-Star, Monday, June 28, 1920, p. 10

2 comments:

  1. You're right, there are a lot more 'and's in there then needed. To bad they didn't give the daughter's first names.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a headache! lol. I couldn't enjoy the content because of the punctuation! I do believe you're right, though. I'll bet most 'journalist' start their careers in obituaries.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...