You can't imagine my surprise when, some years later, I found an Ohio death certificate for her. Not long after that I was able to correspond with two of her grandchildren who both remembered that she'd lived with their families during the last years of her life. It seems that Elvira's sons and daughters took turns caring for her.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________STATE OF OHIO
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH
CERTIFICATE OF DEATH
1 PLACE OF DEATH County Mahoning...
File No. 11328...
City of Struthers
2 FULL NAME Mrs. Elvira Gerner
(a) Residence. No. 561 - 4th St
PERSONAL AND STATISTICAL PARTICULARS
3. SEX Female
4. COLOR White
5. SINGLE, MARRIED... Widow
6. DATE OF BIRTH (month, day, and year) May 12, 1854
7. AGE (years) 88 Months 8 Days 21
8. Trade, profession... at Home....
12. BIRTHPLACE (city or town) Bruin (State or country) Pa
13. Father NAME Dickson Bartley
14. Father BIRTHPLACE (city or town) Pa
15. Mother MAIDEN NAME Rebecca Smith
16. Mother BIRTHPLACE Pa
17. The Signature of INFORMANT Mrs. Fred Holland
and (address) Struthers
18. BURIAL, CREMATION, OR REMOVAL Place Bruin, Pa. Date Feb. 6, 1943
19. FUNERAL FIRM Davidson Funeral Home
19a. BURIED BY [illegible]
Address Struthers, Ohio
19b. EMBALMER [illegible]
20. FILED 2-4-1943 [signature] Angela M. Walsh Registrar
MEDICAL CERTIFICATE OF DEATH
21. DATE OF DEATH (month, day, and year) Feb. 3, 1943
22. I HEREBY CERTIFY, That I attended deceased from Jan., 1937, to Feb, 1943, I last saw her alive on Feb. 3, 1943, death is said to have occurred on the date stated above at 9.45 P. m.
The PRINCIPLE CAUSE OF DEATH and related causes of importance in order of onset were as follows: Senility
CONTRIBUTORY CAUSES of importance not related to principle cause: Arteriosclerosis....
24.... (Signed) Leo [illegible], M. D.
Date Feb. 5, 1943 Address 3031 Market St