Friday, April 20, 2012

My Heart Is Sinking

No, wait, it's not in the process of sinking.  My heart's already at the bottom, somewhere near the soles of my feet.  It is down there because of Blogger.*  I signed in to work on a post and my old, familiar, well-loved Blogger was gone.

They told us a change was coming.  Against hope (I can see now) I hoped I'd still have a choice about which version to use.  But there's no choice.  I have a new, (un)improved Blogger whether I want it or not. I don't like change. It's unsettling, uncomfortable, stressful. 

I'm not a person of strict habit but some routines free my mind for thought, creativity, and growth.  Routines allow me to float through the basics while thinking about other things.  For example, I like waking up in the same house every morning knowing where the shampoo, toothpaste, and milk are.  I don't have to search for them before I move on to the important, more interesting, creative activities of my day.  My old Blogger was like that:  I knew where everything was. I could immediately begin writing a post and move quickly through the steps to publish it.  But not anymore. 

I especially don't like change when it's forced on me.  Blogger has done just that.  No choices, no options.  But here I sit with a sunken heart and new Blogger.  I'll eventually adjust but for now I'm neither comfortable nor happy.

Thanks to Google and Blogger for all they do but no thanks to the new Blogger.


*To readers who do not have blogs:  Blogger is the host for my blog.  It provides the program and online storage space I use to write posts, add photos, and publish them on the internet.  There are two sides to blogger:  the public side, which you are viewing as you read this; and the behind-the-scenes side where I type the words, add the photos, and edit the html code to make posts look presentable.  Blogger contributes to the presentability, too, but sometimes I have to change the sizes or placement of the photos and make some other adjustments.  The part of Blogger that has changed is the behind-the-scenes part.  I'm sure Blogger thinks what they've done is an improvement but Google and Blogger don't always get it right. 
.

10 comments:

  1. What happened? I'm sorry that you are upset.

    How is it different? Mine changed several months ago, is it going to change again?

    Your blog looks great on this side!

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, I must be one of the only people in blog world who still used one of the old versions of blogger. I was using the one I began with 2 and a half years ago. It was so much easier than this new version. It had more options, especially with sizing photographs. How I miss it!

    I'm glad the blog is still looking okay to the public. Thanks for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am still on the old version and like you prefer it. I logged in on I think Wednesday and old blogger had gone.

    In the new interface on the right hand side underneath your user name is two boxes one with the language choice and the other with a small round simple. Click the round symbol and the box opens and the second one from the bottom is Old Blogger Interface & Bingo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, no. That means mine has probably changed too! I haven't blogged in about a week but now I'm scared to check. Google already changed gmail, Google Reader and I guess they thought they had to change blogger too. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I hate when stuff like that gets messed up.

    Dee at Shakin' the Family Tree

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Julie! While waking up this morning I spent an hour stewing about what I was going to do. And there was your comment when I checked me email this morning and my problem is solved! Thanks so very much for leaving a comment. I appreciate it more than you know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And, I have been using that little tool thingy to get back to the old blogger dashboard, but, that too has disappeared this afternoon.

    ARGHHHHHHHHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just signed back in to blogger and got old blogger -- but who knows for how long! Indeed, ARGHHHHHHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for expressing what so many of us feel! I felt as if I were reading my own words when I read this, but especially: "...some routines free my mind for thought, creativity, and growth. Routines allow me to float through the basics while thinking about other things." So true! I need to print this out in large letters, put it up on the refrigerator, up in my home office, and up in my work office. After encountering so much guff for being a "creature of habit" (especially from people who think "change" is the greatest thing ever), this explains why I am the way I am! The "wispy" look of all the new Google platforms reminds me of Windows Vista and its iterations - another crummy idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Greta, I'm sorry you have guff because you are a creature of habit. I, too, think change is great but I want it on my terms when I'm ready for it. For me it takes a lot of mental energy to focus on changes, especially if they're changes that require me to learn/relearn something.

    Thanks for sharing. It's good to know there is another person who thinks about this like I do.

    "Wispy" is such a great word to describe Google's and Blogger's new appearance.

    Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment, Greta. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...