Monday, September 10, 2012

Where Are Those Genealogy Elves?

Where are those elves? You know the ones I mean, right? The ones who helped the shoemaker and his wife -- or ones like them who can help the family historians. Wherever they are, I need them!

Early this summer I needed to turn my attention away from family history and toward living family. I thought that when I came back I would be able to pick up where I left off without missing a beat. I was wrong.

I find I've returned to a disarray of notes, small piles of slips of paper, folders of in-progress searches, scattered photos both scanned and unscanned. (At least the papers in each folder all have the same surnames.) When I looked on my genealogy program for a specific source for one of my ancestors, I was alarmed not to find it. I was certain I'd added the source and all documentation about it, including having transcribed it. It was not there.

Wait! This sounds like some naughty elves came into my workspace and scrambled everything up, doesn't it? I wish that were true but I'm sure I did this to myself. I'm sure my best intentions were not quite good enough. (Most people who know me think that I'm very organized so let's just keep this mess of mine a secret, okay?)

No more beating myself up over my lack of organization with my family history. I've begun working to clean up the mess myself but if you happen to see any elves around your place, please politely encourage them to come to my place when they finish helping you -- unless they're the naughty elves (in which case you can encourage them to go back to forest).


Aside from finding your ancestors and breaking down your brick walls, what do you wish elves would do for you?
.

4 comments:

  1. A real live super meticulous secretary would be nice. She would also keep track of social engagements, thank-you cards, dental appointments etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish they'd bring me another laptop with more random memory and an external hard drive to go with it...

    Dee at Shakin' the Family Tree

    ReplyDelete
  3. For one thing, I'd like them to help me scan all the photos and documents that still need scanning. Then they can help me get all my genealogy "stuff" organized. Ahhh! That would be delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need the genealogy elves to come round and clear up my office! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...