Saturday, June 29, 2013

Receipts - Shopping Saturday

Do you remember receiving hand-written receipts, usually given for rent or services purchased?  The blank receipts were often bound in a booklet, stapled on the left.  As the money was given, the recipient of the money wrote a receipt, filling in blanks for the name of the payer, date, amount, purpose of the payment, etc.

As I was searching Butler County, Pennsylvania, probate records at FamilySearch, I began to notice the beauty of some of the old receipts in the files.  Screenshots were easy enough to make so I could share them with you. (Unfortunately, none of these receipts were for purchases by or in behalf of any of my ancestors.)


I hope you enjoyed these beautiful illustrations. 

--Nancy.
.

3 comments:

  1. The old receipts are absolutely charming!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so, too, Dorene. I wish modern receipts looked like these but things would certainly seem slow to us if receipts for everything were hand-written. In a way, they remind me of some of the decorated checks that people use these days. Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  2. Grouped together, they look like works of art. Good eye, Nancy. I would not have thought to stop and appreciate the simple everyday receipt.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...