Saturday, June 14, 2014

The Gusts

Between the early 1860s and the early 1870s, seven siblings were born and grew up together.  They were the children of John and Catherine (Saylor) Froman.  For most or all of some of their lives, they were fatherless.  This post focuses on three of those siblings -- and two boys.
  • Elizabeth Froman was born in January, 1866.  She grew up, married a man named George Proud, and they had four children.
  • Tressa Froman was born in August, 1867.  She grew up, married a man named William Doyle, and they had three children.
  • Gust Froman, the sixth of the seven siblings, was born in October, 1870.  He grew up to be a coal miner.  Gust was his most commonly used name but his name was also recorded as Agust, Gus, and Gustave.  No matter which given name was used, everyone who knew him recognized him by any of the names. 

In 1887 or 1888, when Gust Froman was about 17 or 18, his sister, Elizabeth (Froman) Proud, had her third child.  The baby was a boy and she named him Gust.  Maybe Gust Froman was her favorite brother.

Gust Proud was known by other variations of Gust, too.  Sometimes he was Gustus, or Gustaphus, or even Augustus.  It didn't matter because everyone knew who he was.  He grew up to be a coal miner like his uncle.

This is Gust Proud in the summer of 1902.  He's standing near his cousin, Hazel Doyle, who's holding Gust's newest sibling, Lina.  Gust/Gustus/Gustaphus/Augustus would have been about 14 in this photo.

Hazel was born on Dec 9, 1891 and Lina (that little bundle of glow on the left) was born in July, 1902.  In this mediocre photocopy of a perfect original photograph, Hazel's dressed to the nines for a portrait by an itinerant photographer.  (Hazel always dressed to the nines!)

Look at Gust Proud.  He's a cute boy who looks like he could have a lot of fun making a little trouble for others -- just teasing, of course.  It pains my heart to think of him working in a coal mine, returning home day after day with skin blackened by the soot of the earth's deep gift of coal when he was so very young.  I can't change his past but I appreciate that he at least had some pleasant times in his life.
. . . . . . . . . . . . .

In November, 1888, when Gust Froman was 18, his sister, Tressa (Froman) Doyle, gave birth to her second child, a boy.  She named him Gust.  Maybe Gust Froman was her favorite brother.

Gust Doyle was recorded as Gust, August, Gus, and Gustave.

The two Gust cousins -- Gust Proud, above, and Gust Doyle, at left -- were born just a year apart (possibly the same year).  I think the boys look about the same age in the photos so they may have been taken around the same time.  The photos of Gust Doyle, left, may have been taken at a fair or carnival or they may be early photobooth photos.

Gust Doyle lived on a farm and helped his father with farm work but he eventually worked in the mines, too, but not at such a young age as Gust Proud and not full-time.

Finding these Gusts in the same family and making the connection between them is a recent discovery to me.  I was surprised when I learned of my grandfather, Gust Doyle's, name variations.  When I found his uncle, Gust Froman, and saw his name variations, I chuckled.  But when I found Gust Proud and saw his name variations, I laughed outright.  Imagine a family reunion with two cousins nearly the same age and an uncle just 18 years older -- all with the same name and with similar variations.  I don't know about the Froman side of the family but I understand that Gust Doyle and his siblings had a good sense of humor.  Imagine the "trouble" they could get into -- er, the fun they had!

Research continues on these individuals and their families.  I wonder how many more variations of Gust I'll find!

This post is a contribution to Sepia Saturday 232.  Trains and transportation are the topics of those following a theme this week; others may post a variety of topics.

--Nancy.

© 2014 Copyright by Nancy Messier.  All rights reserved..
.

19 comments:

  1. Are you sure those are two different Gusts in the "carnival" photos? (Oh, or am I supposed to be comparing these with the other photo?)
    Whenever I run across an ancestor who worked in the coal mine, I sigh. In fact, when I first note that they lived in southwest Virginia or West Virginia, I brace myself for the inevitable. Honest work is noble work, but oh my -- coal mining with its potential for danger and illness was not easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rewrote the post, Wendy, to try to clarify. Yes, in the double photo, both are of the same boy, Gust Doyle.

      I sorrow for all of my coal miners -- and I have a LOT in my family. With the exception of John Froman and Abel Armitage, I don't think any were killed or injured in mine accidents (at least not that I've learned so far).

      Delete
  2. I'm kind of mixed up about all the Gusts. I think the two side by side photos look like the same boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I edited to clarify: yes, the side-by-side photos are the same boy, Gust Doyle.

      Delete
  3. In the double photo Gust kind of looks like Alfafa from the Little Rascals - at least the same type of hat. Interesting story - too bad they had to be miners. What a horrible life.
    Nancy
    Ladies of the Grove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Nancy, Gust reminds me of Alfalfa, too. Or, as you say, maybe it's the hat.

      Delete
  4. A super post about names and family traditions. My research takes me into many family histories and I find the same repetition of names. It can be very confusing. Both photos are terrific but the prideful grin on Gus Proud for his new sister is a priceless clue about his personality, a rare thing to find in photos of that era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Mike, I hadn't interpreted Gust's grin as pride in his new sister but I think you could be right. He's certainly pleased/proud about something. I have more research to do and hope I can learn a little about his personality (always hard when there are only bits and pieces in newspaper clippings, IF one can find them). I appreciate your adding insight to this photo. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. A fascinating post about the naming tradition within a family. The youg Gust certainly looks a little ‘cheeky’ in that first photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike thought he looked proud of his new baby sister but my first impression was similar to yours - cheeky - and not knowing the next thing he'd be up to.

      Delete
  6. Did the family have northern European origins? Gustave (and its variations) sounds like it comes from there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lorraine. Gust Froman's parents and the two younger Gusts' grandparents were from Germany. Depending on the record, the location in Germany varies.

      Delete
  7. We have recurring Charles and Arthurs in our family from the early 1700s. This has made research into our family very confusing to say the least. And there is not a photo of any of them! So I was pleased to read about the Gusts..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Bob. Oh, yes, those recurring names through generations can be challenging, especially if the surname is the same. Good luck to you! I'm grateful that these men all had different surnames.

      Delete
  8. A very unusual name but popular in your family. I am not surprised that there have been so many alternatives. It makes me wonder if it was the surname of an ancestor? Or family friend? Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sharon. Well, the two younger Gusts were probably named after Gust Froman, the older one in this post, but there could also be even older Gusts that I haven't discovered who are ancestors of Gust Froman.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...