Monday, September 15, 2014

The Cameo Brooch

My mother had a small collection of cameos:  two pendants, a set of earrings, and a brooch.  I always admired the creamy carvings with their peach backgrounds.  Mom -- the private one who revealed little about her past -- never mentioned the history of any of them.  They could have been gifts, heirlooms,  purchases, or....  When Mom passed away I assumed I would never know more about them.

Then I found my parents' marriage announcement with my Mom's other papers.  It reads,

                     Mineral Ridge Girl Marries

(Special to The Vindicator)

     Mineral Ridge, Sept. 16.--Miss Audrey Meinzen, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Meinzen, and Lee Doyle of Niles, were married at 7:30 p. m. Thursday in the Methodist Church.  Rev. Robert L. Clemmons read the service.
     The bride wore a gown of blue velvet with a cameo brooch, the gift of the bridegroom.  She carried an arm bouquet of pink roses.  Her matron of honor, Mrs. Earl Tuxford of Niles, was attired in wine crepe and carried fall flowers.  Mr. Tuxford served as best man.
     Mrs. Isabelle Woodward sang "I Love You Truly" and "O Promise Me" and Mrs. Phoebe Johnson played the traditional wedding marches.
     Following the ceremony a reception was held at the home of the bride's parents.
     Mrs. Doyle was graduated from Mineral Ridge High school, class of 1933, and from Warren Nurses' Training school in 1937.  She will continue her work for the present.  Mr. Doyle is associated with the Niles Rolling Mill.
     Following a short honeymoon the newly weds will live at 20 N. Chestnut Ave., Niles.



"The bride wore a gown of blue velvet with a cameo brooch, the gift of the bridegroom."  As far as I know, Mom had only one cameo brooch, the one shown at right.  I feel confident to say that this was my father's wedding gift to my mother.

They were married on this date, September 15, in 1938.

--Nancy.

Copyright © 2014 Nancy Messier. All Rights Reserved.

8 comments:

  1. What a nice bit of information you found out about that cameo brooch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a sweet surprise to find that little sentence, Carol. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. The brooch is so lovely! Neat article too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great find, Nancy. I can picture your mom in that blue velvet gown, with an armful of pink roses, wearing the beautiful gift of the cameo from your father. Absolutely lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer. I wish there were photos even if they were in black and white. It would be fun to see the style of her dress and where she wore the brooch.

      Delete
  4. The value of that cameo just increased, I'd say. It's a lovely pin and a wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose you're right, Wendy. I understand that the provenance of an item increases its value, but then it increases in sentimental value to me with the knowledge of its background.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...