Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Early Bird, Night Owl - Musings

Family history research has temporarily come to a halt.  In fact, nearly every non-essential activity in my life has come to a halt -- except the wondering, imagining, and musing about my ancestors and their lives.  For a few weeks I am working at a full-time job which begins every morning at 8:00 a.m.

This would be fine if I were an early bird, a morning person.  But I am not.  I am a night owl.  It's what my body tells me works best.  I usually go to bed between midnight and 2:00 a.m. and get up between 8:00 and 9:00 a.m.  I get between seven and eight hours of sleep and it all works perfectly.  When I can do it.  But I can't do it these two weeks.  So I've been going to bed around 10:00 p.m. with the intention (and the hope) of getting eight hours of sleep.  Unfortunately, I toss and turn for the first few hours, finally fall asleep at about 2:00 a.m., and awake after less than five hours sleep to find that I have a headache.  (This is not a poor me post.  Really.  I'm not complaining, just giving background to help you follow the thread of my thoughts.)

I've never been a morning person.  My mom had the hardest time waking me when I started school -- and I had a hard time waking myself as I grew older.  As a young child with a bedtime of 7:00 or 8:00,  I would lie awake tossing and turning, finally falling asleep much later.

I attended college orientation with my mom who, when it came time to complete a schedule request, suggested that I take morning classes so I could have the afternoons free.  What was she thinking?  What was I thinking?  Maybe she thought it would help whip me into shape.  Those were the days before electric alarm clocks with snooze buttons:  I set three wind-up alarm clocks to go off at 10-minute intervals. 

After my babies were born I was thrilled to be able to nestle them in bed while I slept a little longer in the mornings.  Whether it's nature or nurture, neither is a morning person.  Both had to alter that tendency while in college and for jobs, but given the opportunity, both would go to bed late and get up late.

Is the concept (and/or the reality) of morning person/night person relatively recent?  Did the advent of electricity and artificial light change the sleeping/waking habits of people?  Or have there always been people who were early birds and night owls with preferred times to be awake and to sleep?  I suppose it's possible that nearly everyone was a morning person 100 or 150 years ago when the time after sunset was usually dark (except for the use of expensive candles and oil lamps).  Or perhaps a body eventually adjusts when the need arises?

If I had night owl ancestors, how would the night owl dairy farmer have managed a farm of cows that needed milked early every morning?  Or managed the planting and harvesting, both jobs that require daylight?  Did the night owls go through their days feeling tired and having headaches?  How did my night-owl ancestors manage when they couldn't be night-owls?

In agrarian cultures like that of our ancestors a century ago, life happened during the day.  I think that's the norm these days, too.  The expectation seems to be that people get up early and begin work at 8:00 a.m., sometimes earlier.   There's not much consideration for the person whose body tells her that sleep should begin at 1:00 or 2:00 a.m., and so we drag along.

If a body really does adjust its sleeping habits when the need arises, by the end of these two weeks maybe I will have become a morning person.  That would be a surprise to everyone who knows me.

Are you a morning person or a night owl?  Do you know if your ancestors tended toward one or the other?

--Nancy.

Copyright © 2014 Nancy Messier. All Rights Reserved.

8 comments:

  1. I'm a morning person - always have been. When I was teaching and grading papers nonstop, I HAD to stop grading by 9 pm because my mind shut down -- I would read the same paper two and three times because I wasn't focused enough to grade it fairly. Even though I'm up and at'em at 5 or 6 a.m., I wonder how people who work the early news shows manage a normal life when they are up at 3. I also wonder about people who do alternating shift work sometimes day hours and sometimes night hours. Thinking about this issue in terms of our ancestors is just a new puzzle for me and I have no answer. Maybe I'll have to sleep on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Wendy. I know what you mean about your mind shutting down after a certain time. Mine does the same, it's just later. And it doesn't do any heavy thinking until I've been up an hour or so. My husband's a morning person and sometimes he'll bombard me with something that requires some thought as soon as I get out of bed. The conversation doesn't turn out well when he does that....

      My father worked turns. From my adult view I can't imagine how he did it and stayed sane. Even though I'm a night person, I think working the night shift takes it out of a person. My husband work 10 p. to 8 a. and my daughter works 7 p. - 7 a. It's a hard schedule on the body no matter whether one is a morning or night person.

      I hope you had a good sleep. Now that it's on your mind, you may remember some things that indicate that your parents or grandparents were morning or night people.

      Delete
  2. My mom's a night owl and my dad was a morning person. I'm not exactly sure what I am. I do know that I do much better if I get 7 or 8 hours of sleep a night, at least lately. When I was a young single adult, I probably tended to "burn the candle at both ends" with activities, outings, etc. in the evenings and then up early for work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember burning the candle at both ends, Jana. I think I just did it later into the night and later into the morning -- if I could. I like getting 8 hours of sleep, too, and at one time I found it an absolute necessity. I wonder if some people's sleep patterns change over time or as the need arises. I doubt I will ever be a true morning person but I could probably adapt to getting up early if I needed to.

      Delete
  3. Basically I am a morning person. I just tend to do better early in the morning. Late afternoon I start to drag pretty bad and about 4 I am pretty useless. Then about 9 o'clock PM I pick up again and have to basically force myself to go to bed knowing that if I don't, I won't be able to get up and will miss out on the most productive part of my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you ever take afternoon naps, Michelle, or does that throw your sleep pattern off completely? Sometimes I think I could fall asleep at 9 in the evening but when I've tried it, I toss and turn, and have finally just given in to staying up late. I think I have a slow time most evenings, then pick up again. It's interesting how our bodies tell us what they want.

      Delete
  4. Fellow night owl here. I do set an alarm in the morning and try to get going at a decent time, but it's certainly not the crack of dawn. I suppose our ancestors didn't have much choice because livestock had to be fed. I read once that it was customary in early times to have "two sleeps." I think it'd be interesting to look into that more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Shelley. I suspected that you might be a night owl because your comments come to my email late, often after midnight. I have hard of two sleeps before and read something about it which I can't now remember.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...