Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Trying Not to Be Too Hard on Myself

I began to beat myself up when my sister-in-law noticed the incongruity of dates (or the lack of usual sequence of dates) in the marriage of my great-great-grandparents and the birth of their first son -- and I hadn't noticed it.  I think of myself as a careful researcher, not prone to adding information to my genealogy program until I'm convinced it's probably my ancestor.  But if that's true, how could I have missed this? 

A day or so later I realized that I should not have felt bad that I hadn't noticed the dates.  In fact, I transcribed the marriage record, photographed it, and posted it before I added the date, a transcription, and a citation to RootsMagic.  Which means that I had not yet fully analyzed the information nor compared it to other family information.  If I'm not looking at dates I won't see them.

I have no doubt I would have noticed the incongruity, especially since the information from my Doyle family is based primarily on undocumented family records.  I'm wary of every bit of that information and take it as "legend" but...

You have to start somewhere.  If the only information you have to begin with is undocumented family records with names, dates, and locations, that's where you start your research.  But you must be fully aware that information that comes from family should be considered hints until more information can be gathered to support (or refute) it.  In addition, memory fades.  (Forty-odd years later he asks, "Were we married in 1861 or 1862, dear?")  And there can be transcription errors at any point for a record or a memory.  The more often something written is copied, the more likely mistakes will appear. 

You need to evaluate, analyze, and compare.  How does this record fit with that one?  Does this document support (or refute) information in the other record (or in the family information)?  Either way, it's a good idea to write down your reasoning and why you think it offers support for or against another document.

You can't find every ancestor at the same time.  When I bemoan my slow progress in my family history research, I have to remind myself that I can't find all of my ancestors at the same time, let alone documents for them.  Each person gets his or her own time, own research, own documents (unless they name other family members).  I can't record all of the information at the same time, either.  One ancestor at a time, one document at a time.  There are so many possible documents and so many ancestors, too!  With 8 great-grandparents and 16 great-great-grandparents and each previous generation doubling, plus their children (if one wants to research and add the children to the family group -- and I do) it all takes time.

I guess this is a pep talk to myself (and anyone else who needs one):  Don't be too hard on yourself.  Things take time.  Be patient with yourself because you're still learning.  Be careful, be diligent, be thorough, do the math, record everything, analyze everything, and enjoy the process.

How about you?  Do you ever need to give yourself a pep talk (or a good talking to) because you've missed a piece of evidence, assumed something, or overlooked information on a document?

--Nancy.

Copyright ©2018, Nancy Messier.  All Rights Reserved. 
Do not copy or use any content from this blog without written permission from the owner.


.

10 comments:

  1. Wonderful post Nancy and a good reminder to be kind to ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A useful pep talk to all of us! I like to think I am a careful researcher, but,,,,,! I had traced with confidence my husband's ancestors back to Samuel Donaldson’s marriage in 1759 in South Leith {Edinburgh’s seaport) in Midlothian and then I found a birth in the Old Parish Recirds of a Samuel Donaldson across country at Kirkbean, Kirkcudbrightshire on the Solway coast. We even went on a short break to the area on the ancestral trail. It was only when I came to,writing the narrative, it suddenly dawned on me that I had no proof whatsoever that the amuel D. who married in Leith was the same SD born in Kirkbean - given that it was not compulsory to,record BMD in Scotland until 1855.
    A fundamental FH mistake - do not assume. This remains my brick wall - but we did enjoy our short break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great lesson and reminder, Sue, to make sure the trail is documented and there's some source for each fact/assumption we make. I hope you eventually break through that brick wall. Glad you enjoyed your break in Kirkbean.

      Delete
  3. That's so true - we all make mistakes! I use Roots Magic too, how do you get on with it? I'm pretty happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who makes mistakes, Callie. I like RootsMagic quite a lot, but I'm sure there's lots more to its capabilities that I haven't learned, even after several years.

      Delete
  4. You are way too hard on yourself, Nancy. I agree, for a perfectionist, it is unpleasant when someone else has to pick up an error, but it is far more important to stay approachable and keep an open mind for when they do. One of the goals of blogging is to obtain everyone's prospective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dara. I was really grateful that my sister-in-law called my attention to the dates (and so gently, without questioning the dates and just seeking confirming that we had the same dates). I think having someone like her helps my stay on my toes.

      Delete
  5. Been there, done that, feel just as you do! Sometimes the excitement of finding a family or a brickwall ancestor overwhelms my usual detail-oriented analysis. It happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does my heart good to know I'm not alone, Marian. Thank you.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...