Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Low-Hanging Genealogy "Fruit"

I've picked a little low-hanging genealogy fruit this week.  World War I draft registration cards were not available online when I was searching for information about my grandfather and his siblings 10 or 12 years ago and I hadn't thought of looking for them until FamilySearch sent me an email with hints.  This record turned up in one of the hints and I was pleased to see it. 

The card gives Grampa's name as Robert Meinzen, the name he most commonly used during his lifetime, but his full name is William Carl Robert Meinzen.  As a child I remember thinking Grampa was tall -- he was probably one of the taller men I knew when I was little at perhaps 6' tall.  I don't believe I ever noticed that his eyes were grey.  The only other information that's new to me is his address and the name of his employer.  June 5th, the day he registered, happens to be his oldest daughter Audrey's birthday.  Grampa did not serve in World War I.

This is his draft registration card with a transcription below.


Form 1   [Stamped] 2531     REGISTRATION CARD     No. 141    1663 [circled at top of card]
 1  Name in Full   Robert Meinzen      Age, in yrs.   25
 2  Home address   123 E. Mkt  Warren  Ohio
 3  Date of Birth   Feb. 8 1892
 4  Are you (1) a natural-born citizen   Natural born
 5  Where were you born?   Steubenville, Ohio  U.S.A.
 6  If not a citizen...   Citizen
 7  What is your present trade, occupation, or office?   Barber
 8  By whom employed?   David Herlinger      Where employed?   31 Main Street  Warren  O
 9  Have you a father, mother, wife, child under 12, or a sister or brother under 12, solely dependent on you for support? (specify which)?    Wife & Child
10  Married or single (which)?   Married    Race (specify which)   Caucasian
11  What military service have you had?   None
12  Do you claim exemption from draft (specify grounds)?   Yes  Married Have Children
I affirm that I have verified above answers and that they are true.
[Signature]   Robert Meinzen

REGISTRAR'S REPORT        34-1-17-A  [stamped at top]
1  Tall, medium, or short (specify which)?   Tall      Slender, medium, or stout (which)?   Medium
2  Color of eyes?   Grey      Color of hair?   Lt Brown      Bald?  No
3  Has person lost arm, leg, hand, foot, or both eyes, or is he otherwise disabled (specify)?   No
I certify that my answers are true, that the person registered has read his own answers, that I have witnessed his signature, and that all of his answers of which I have knowledge are true, except as follows: 
[rubber stamped] 37-3-27 A
S. H. Perkins (Signature of registrar)
Precinct   4A
City or County   Warren
State   Ohio      (Date of registration)   6 / 5 –1917
[Typed or Rubber Stamped:] 
Local Board for Div.
No. 1 for the
County of Trumbull
State of Ohio
Warren, Ohio

The only uncertainty about this record is whether the address shown in #2 is "123," "423," or "923."   There's a shadow on the left of the 1 which  makes me wonder.  (If you want to look closely, click the photo to enlarge it.)

Though the information on this card isn't critical to my family history research I'm pleased to add it to my grandfather's other records to make a more complete picture of him.  Low-hanging fruit is such fun to find now, after having researched for a decade. 

–Nancy.

Copyright ©2019, Nancy Messier.  All Rights Reserved. 
Do not copy or use any content from this blog without written permission from the owner. 

.

4 comments:

  1. I was thrilled to find my great grandfather's WWI card. He always went by Charles E. Adams and I could never figure out if his middle name was Edward or Edwin because both appeared in his family. The draft card answered the question - it was Edwin and it's still the only record I have ever seen with his middle name on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful find in a WWI draft registration, Linda. This is more evidence that we should search for every record for an ancestor because we never know which will answer the questions we have!

      Delete
  2. Nancy~
    You may be able to determine if that "1" is actually another number if you check census records. I do look forward to your posts and thoroughly enjoy what you have put together for your family.
    Best, Pippa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your kind comments and the suggestion to look at census records, Pippa. I checked and found that by 1920 Grampa and his family had moved to a different street in the same city, and they weren't yet married in 1910. Perhaps I can find an old city map of Warren that will show me whether there were even houses as far out as the 900 block in 1917.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...