Saturday, May 8, 2021

Hannah Glasse of Northumberland and Her Recipe for Plague Potion

I hope you enjoy this presentation by Hannah Glasse from the Northumberland Archives.



Hannah was the author of the 1747 cookbook, The Art of Cookery Made Plain and Easy Which far exceeds any Thing of the Kind ever yet Published, which was republished into the 1800s and again in the 21st century.  I particularly enjoyed this video of Hannah with her delightful accent as she shared a few cookery tricks from the mid- to late-1700s.  And who of us wouldn't benefit from her plague potion during these Covid times?  Based on my knowledge of the herbs included, it will have a strong (and perhaps unappealing) fragrance.
 
Since visiting Colonial Williamsburg many years ago I have been a fan of character reenactors from times past.  When well-researched and heartily presented, I believe they can cast a light into the past, giving us a window through which we can view life as it might have been for our ancestors who lived many decades ago. 

I sometimes berate myself for taking time to watch videos such as these and to research non-ancestors.  And then I remind myself that, in this case, some of my foremothers from Northumberland and other counties in England, and possibly America, may have used Hannah's cookbook, if they could read.  (And I do hope they could read.)  Those foremothers from England include Martha (Reay) Doyle, Elizabeth (Thompson) Laws, Mary (Bell) Reay, Eliza (Hartley) Armitage, Hannah (MNU) Armitage, Martha (MNU) Hartley, and unknown others.

If you'd like to read a little more about Hannah Glasse, I recommend

As far as Hannah's cookbook, you can view a facsimile of the original here at Archive.org.  The first pages are blank so scroll down to image 10 to begin.  Your local library probably also has a version available for loan.  And if you'd like to own your own copy there are many available for purchase at booksellers across the internet. The original versions will cost between $300.00 to over $1,000.00, the reproductions significantly less.  As for me, I reserved a Dover version from my local library and am eager to see it. 

-–Nancy.

Copyright © 2021 Nancy Messier.  All Rights Reserved. 
Do not copy or use any content from this blog without written permission from the owner. 

.

2 comments:

  1. Plague potion! Now that's something you don't see every day. Can't wait to watch the video to see if you drink it or smear it on your skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we don't see potions much these days (or at least they're not called that). Not for drinking. Wash in it, dab it one the skin, put it on a sponge to carry with you and sniff at it when out and about. I'd love to make some just to smell it but I don't have all the ingredients.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...