Friday, January 5, 2024

FamilySearch's "All About Your Ancestors"

When I go to FamilySearch, it's most often to either search for an ancestor in their records or to index.  But just recently, when I clicked on the "Get Involved" tab with the intention of indexing, instead of clicking "Indexing," I clicked "Opportunities."  I found a generous gift of more than 30 "family history experiences" with search results just waiting for me to learn more about my ancestors.
These are some of the experiences available:
  • 1950 US Census
  • Ancestor Challenge  (identify photos of ancestors and/or their grave markers)
  • Ancestors Calendar
  • Cemeteries
  • Challenging Times
  • Discover Relatives Who May Need to be Added to Your Family Tree
  • Family Obituaries
  • Honoring Your Military Relative
  • Mayflower
  • My Ancestors in the 1950s
  • My Relatives' Military Records
  • Pearl Harbor
  • Record Hints
  • Relatives' Headstones
  • Religious Records
  • Top Contributors (to individuals who appear in your tree)
  • War of 1812 Relatives
  • WWI Draft Records
  • WWI Service Records
  • WWII Enlistment Record
  • Your Ancestor's Marriage
  • Your Female Ancestor Photos
  • Your Female Ancestors' Stories

To access these opportunities you'll need to sign in to your free FamilySearch account and have begun a family tree.  Click on "Get Involved" at the top of the screen, then click "Opportunities."  Since others contribute to your tree (which is really the collaborative tree), you'll likely find some information or ancestors who are new to you.  I did!

—Nancy.

Copyright © 2024 Nancy Messier.  All Rights Reserved. 
Do not copy or use any content from this blog without written permission from the owner. 

.

2 comments:

  1. Those look primarily as if they're aimed at those with American ancestors...hope they decide to expand it for those of us who aren't American...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mention it, Teresa, I see that you're right. And yes, with you I hope they expand the options to include records from other countries. Maybe, I hope, they're just starting with a narrow focus.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...