Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My Elizabeth


My Elizabeth was born Elizabeth Armitage on August 24, 1852, in Bradford, Yorkshire, England.

She came to the U.S. when she was 12.

She was a bride at 17.

She was a mother at 18; and at 20, 22, 26, 28, 30, 32, 33, 35, 38, 39, 41, 44, and 45, + 1 other year.

She became a U.S. citizen at 19.

She was the mother of 15 children, though only 6 lived longer than her.

My Elizabeth, my great-grandmother Elizabeth Armitage Meinzen, died in June, 1926, of cancer of the face.

Though I've never met her in person, she happens to be one of my heroes. I look forward to meeting her.

Gramma Elizabeth, I hope you have a wonderful birthday today, surrounded by friends and family! Happy Birthday!


You can read more about Elizabeth's life at Elizabeth.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I feel so tired. FIFTEEN children?! I suppose the older ones help out and all, but that was back in the days of washing by hand, sewing by hand, cooking from scratch, and limited health care. Wow, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely picture of Elizabeth. I think the death of so many children was so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine, I agree! I can't imagine it. I was thinking, too, about fires and hot stoves, and dirty diapers, and lots of other conveniences she wouldn't have had. Whew!

    Claudia, thanks for visiting. This photo of Elizabeth is sadly lacking in quality, but since it's the only one I have of her at that age, I use it. I think the original was proably a very small one and the person who gave this one to me enlarged the little one.

    I agree that it must have been very sad to lose so many children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great picture! Happy Birthday, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My paternal great grandmother had at least 13 children, hard to imagine! Her son, my grandfather only had 3, the youngest was my dad. less seems to be known of my mother's side of the family. I think it is great you searching and finding info like this. Thank you for this blog. In foreign countries like on the continent of Africa, we do not know the hardships they face, losing many babies to ill health bad water, poor diet, accident ... My guess is they too have many babies, and many of theirs die young as well. No matter when it is heart breaking to lose ones children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, QuiltGranma, it is hard to imagine having so many children -- not just the bearing of them but also raising them! I have not lost a child but it is a heartbreak I can imagine would be nearly impossible to get past.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...