A BRIEF HISTORICAL SKETCH
By the Pastor [Haines A. Reichel]
This society of Methodist Episcopal people who dedicate a new House of Worship today, September the 7th, A. D. 1930, has had a long and glorious history. Records seem not to be available prior to the year 1867, but the church was organized before that date. The Reverend William Rawson was assigned to the Mineral Ridge-Ohltown charge in the year 1867 by the Erie Conference when these two churches were taken off the “Liberty Circuit” and united into one charge.
The building which was torn down July 30, 1929, to make way for the present new building, was dedicated December 23rd, 1868, by Bishop Kingsley and served this congregation for 61 years. From July 30, 1929 until July 4th, 1930, we held services in the old Disciples Church on south main street, at which time we moved into the new Recreation Hall in this building.
The first definite movement for a new church building was begun during the pastorate of Rev. Charles Eyster and on December 9, 1924, the “Profit and Pleasure Class” of women started the building fund with a deposit of $600 in the bank. Later this class was organized into a Ladies’ Aid Society and to date they have contributed more than $6000 to the fund.
Prior to the assignment, October 1st, 1928, of the present pastor to the charge, a previously appointed Building Committee had spent many long and fruitful hours consulting with architects and visiting and inspecting church buildings, but by that time no mutual agreements had been reached. However, on April 15th, 1929 the Official Board, at its regular meeting, held in the home of Mrs Mary James, approved the recommendation of the Building Committee: “That H. W. Maurer, Architect, of Cleveland, be employed to design and superintend the building of a new structure on the site of the old church and that he be requested to submit plans and estimates for final approval.” Subsequent meetings and consultations caused the approval of the plans upon which this building has been erected, the cost having been estimated by the architect at that time at $55,000 complete.
The important events which rapidly took place following this action were: “Launching Day,” on June 23rd, 1929. The old subscriptions which had been made five years ago were declared null and void at this time and on a new basis of three years payment subscriptions amounting to more than $20,000 were received. The speaker was Bishop Joseph F. Berry of our church. “Home Coming Day,” on July 28, 1929, at which time we held our last meetings and Communion service in the old building, was a great day and many of the old members returned to the old church home. At the morning and evening services this day $1700 more was added to the fund. The old building was razed the following week and the new work begun.
The Corner Stone of the new structure was laid on Sunday, November 24th, 1929, and during the winter months most of the work was stopped because of bad weather. Today we assemble in the completed temple and praise God for His goodness unto us and for His guidance through these past months. Our financial statement presented today indicates other monies added to those mentioned above and our needs for completion.
We believe that we have erected a building fit for the Master’s work, beautiful, worshipful and useful, and we pray for His continued mercy and guidance as we plan and work for the future.
Dedication Day Program, Mineral Ridge Methodist Episcopal Church was the first post in this series. The other two posts are
About the Stained Glass Windows of the Mineral Ridge Methodist Church and Mineral Ridge Businesses, 1930.