Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Two New Resources (to me, at least) -- Tuesday's Tip Times Two

I'm sharing two resources today: Family Search Research Courses and SortedByName.

Some other savvy GeneaBlogger may have mentioned this before and I missed it, so I'm sharing it in case you haven't read or heard about it either: FamilySearch offers free, online Research Courses. Some are as short at 5 minutes; others last about an hour; and some are in a series of several.

Some of their topics (with number of courses in parentheses) bu category are:

Beginning Research in Australia (3), England (10), Germany (3), Ireland (5), Italy (1), New Zealand (1), Poland (3), and Mexico (1)

Reading Handwritten Records includes Dutch (3), English (3), French (3), German (3), Italian (3), Latin (1), Polish (3), Portuguese (3), Russian (3), Scandinavian (3), and Spanish (3)

Research Principles and Tools includes presentations on Interviewing, Cemetery Art, Descendancy Research, Maps, Social Networking, Finding More at a Genealogy Library, Beginner Genealogy Mistakes, Inferential Genealogy, Managing Your Family Records on the Internet, Research Logs, Timelines, Thinking Creatively about Research Problems, Tips & Topics from 50 Years of Research, among others.

There are 40 other courses relating to genealogy in the USA, for which I'm not going to list topics. Under the section "Accreditation, Certification, and Professional Presentations" there are more than two dozen more topics.

You might find something helpful. You might even find something you didn't know you were looking for!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SortedByName is resource I found because I watched one of the above Research Courses.

In some ways it might be similar to Mocavo because it collects information from the web and gives the reader a link, but SortedByName is unlike Mocavo in that it has already collected the name and source link.

SortedByName seems slightly cumbersome because one must choose the letter of the last name, then choose the appropriate page, dictionary style. After getting to the appropriate page, one scrolls down until arriving at the last and first name, then looks at the possible links.

One thing I do like about it is that it gives relationship names, event, and date:
BARTLEY, George W. (child of Rebecca Smith (mother) and Dixon Bartley) ; died 1 May 1931 in Hancock, West Virginia. 706,495
Here’s why you should check the source file.
Clicking on "source file" took me directly to a downloadable image of the West Virginia death certificate for George.

I don't know what sources have been indexed by SortedByName but their front page states they have nearly 42,000,000 entries. If they happen to have the person you need, it's a great source.

Those are my newest resources. I hope you find something useful. Happy searching!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the timely reminder about these courses. I'm intrigued by "inferential genealogy," since I think we family history researchers are always trying to connect the dots via conjecture, lacking firm facts in many cases :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I want to learn more about inferential genealogy, too. I need to go view that class. I suppose if we didn't have to use conjecture and had all the firm facts, we'd all have our family histories finished by now, wouldn't we? :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...