Friday, November 11, 2011

A Hundred and Fifty Years

I wanted to find information about wedding customs in 1861 to go along with this post about the marriage of (James) Andrew Doyle and Elizabeth Jane Laws. I was unsuccessful.

They were married in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland, England, on Monday, November 11, 1861.

He was a 25-year-old widower. She was 16. Her parents did not want her to marry him. She married him anyway. (My siblings and I get our strong wills (or is it stubbornness?) from every ancestral line.) He came to the U.S. in 1869. She and their first 4 children followed in October, 1870. They finally settled in Stoneboro, Mercer County, Pennsylvania.

They had 11 children who survived into adulthood. I haven't traced all of their children and their families but I think they may have more than a thousand descendants by now.

Their marriage lasted 46 years, until Andrew's death in July, 1908.

How grateful I am for Elizabeth's strong will -- or I wouldn't be here!

Happy Anniversary, Gramma and Grampa!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...