Christian Gerner born in Clarion Co. Penna on the 12th day of July A. D. 1854, residing at Washington Washington Co. Penna occupation Driller not related by blood or marriage to the person whom he desires to marry has not been married before
Amanda Daubenspeck born in Armstrong Co Pa on the 16th day of May A. D. 1858, residing at Clarion County Pa .... has not been married before
Marriage License issued Oct. 22 1886....
Married October 22, 1886
By Rev. D. Jones Duplicate certificate returned Nov 11th 1886
Department of Public Health
Standard Certificate of Death
1. Place of Death: Dist. No. 3002 Local Registered No. 63
County of Orange
City... of Anaheim Street and No. 525 E. Adele
2. Full Name Christian Gerner
Residence: No. 525 E. Adele
3. Sex Male
4. Color or Race White
5. Single, Married.... Married
5A. If Married... name of husband or wife Amanda J. Gerner
6. Date of Birth June 12 1854
7. Age 81 yr. 3 Mo. 27 Days
8. Trade, profession... Oil Worker
9. Industry or business... [blank]
10. Date deceased last worked at this occupation 1918
11. Total Years spent in this occupation 43
12. Birthplace (city or town) Clarion County
State or Country Pennsylvania
13. Name Christian Gerner
14. Birthplace (city or town) [blank]
State or country Germany
15. Maiden Name Mary Stahl
16. Birthplace (city or town) [blank]
State or country Germany
17. Length of residence
A. City, town, etc. 16 yrs
B. In California 22 yrs
C. In U.S.... [blank]
18. Informant ML Gerner
Address Anaheim Calif
19. Burial, Creamation.... Entombment
Place Melrose Abbey, Orange Date 10-11-35
20. Embalmer License No. 1688. Signature J. Ben Kaulbars [not a signature]
Funeral Directors Backs-Teery & Campbell
Address Anaheim, Calif
21. Filed Oct 11 1935
KH Sutherland, MD
Charles E Griffith Dep Local Registrar
22. Date of Death October 9, 1935
23. Medical Certificate of Death
I hereby Certify, that I attended deceased from Sept 27 to Oct 9 '35; that I last
saw him alive on Oct 9 '35 and that death occurred on the above stated date at
the hour of 3 P.M.
The principal cause of death and related causes of importance in order of onset,
were as follows:
Cerebral Degeneration Date of onset 1930
Other contributory causes of importance:
Arteriosclerosis Date of onset 1925
Empyema Date of onset 9/1935
24. Coroner's Certificate of Death [blank]
25. If death was due to external causes ... [blank]
26. If disease/injury related ... [blank]
27. Signature J W Truxaw [not a signature]
Address Anaheim , Calif.
28. When required by Law [blank]
State of California County of Orange SS.
Certified Copy of Vital Records
Date Issued Jun 26 2013 [rubber stamped]
Hugh Nguyen Clerk-Recorder Orange County, California
This a true and exact reproduction of the document officially registered and placed on file in the office of the Orange County Clerk-Recorder.
- The marriage record gives Christian's birth date as July 12, 1854; the death certificate gives it as June 12, 1854. At least the year is the same.
- Is the death certificate a photocopy of the actual death certificate or a court transcription? I wonder because there are no signatures. However, the font and placement of the typing on the death certificate make me think it IS a copy of the original. If it were computer generated, they could do (and I think they would have done) a better job of aligning words on the lines and within the boxes.
- Empyema is a collection of pus in an already existing body cavity. It seems that it most commonly affects the lungs.
- What did "cerebral degeneration" mean in 1935? Was it senility? Was it a precursor of Alzheimer's disease? These days it seems to be an umbrella term that includes Alzheimer's, hydrocephalus, Reye's syndrome, as well as some other diseases.