Monday, January 6, 2020

Beginning Again / Picking Up Where I Left Off

We have so many fresh starts in life.  A new love, a new marriage, a new baby, a new home, the purchase of property.  A move to a new country, learning a new language.  I do wonder why January 1 has become the time when we nearly always think of fresh starts, consider resolutions, and try to make changes for the better.  Why are our expectations of change so high for the beginning of the new year?  Why not the first day of spring when the world is just coming alive again (at least in the northern hemisphere)?  Or why not June 1?  Or why not every new day?  Why wait?   

As for me, I'm not a proponent of  New Year's resolutions.  In my younger years I think I gave them a try but they always went by the wayside within a week or two.  These days I stick with a to-do list, which isn't always successful, either.  Sometimes an item on my list may be pushed ahead for a few days or a week until I eventually get tired of seeing it unfinished and actually do it.

But, I made a beginning yesterday afternoon (or, really, I picked up where I left off) by searching FamilySearch and the GRO website for Robert Laws and Elizabeth (Thompson) Laws, my third great-grandparents.  I ordered death certificates for both. 


I'm hoping these certificates will have more information than just dates and locations of death.  Ideally, they will give birth locations and parents' names.  I can only hope.

I have certificates I received last year that I still need to add to my genealogy program.

I hope I can keep up this early burst of family history energy.

Happy New Year to you!

This post was written for Amy Johnson Crow's 2020 version of 52 Ancestors.  The post topic was "Fresh Start."

–-Nancy.

Copyright ©2020, Nancy Messier.  All Rights Reserved. 
Do not copy or use any content from this blog without written permission from the owner. 

.

2 comments:

  1. Like you, I hope my burst of research energy holds. Happy New Year, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is it about January 1 or the new year that does that? I hope so for both of us, Wendy.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...