Sunday, January 12, 2020

A Favorite Photo (or Three)

It is almost impossible to choose just one favorite photo.  I don't have a lot of photos but I have many favorites of the ones I have.

First:  My grandmother, Emma Virginia (Bickerstaff) Meinzen
This photo was taken in about 1907 or 1908 when she was 15 or 16.  I have no history from her about the photo but I did a little research on her waist (blouse) to help determine the date.  You can read the post here.

Second:  My parents, Lee and Audrey (Meinzen) Doyle
I believe this was taken in a photobooth but the original photo is larger than most photobooth photos.  I don't have a history of this photo but I believe it was taken in the late 1940s.  I love the fact that they book look so happy, expressions I rarely saw during my lifetime.  I enlarged this photo and framed it for my mom a few years before she died.  She didn't like it because of her hair and kept it in a drawer.  When I was visiting about a year after I gave it to her I noticed that she had it on a table.  I suppose my dad's smile won her over.  Or perhaps it was the remembrance of happier times.

Third:  Children at the swimming hole
I chuckle every time I look at this photo.  If you look closely, you can see that someone on the far side has splashed water toward the swimmers in the middle, as evidenced by the water spray.  I think it's amazing that cameras of the 1920s could capture those water droplets in midair.

In this close-up you can see this little imp, at left, ready to hit the water with her outstretched arms to splash back.  She's the smallest of the group but, perhaps, has the biggest attitude.  She's ready to give as good as she gets.

Thanks for visiting!

This post was written for Amy Johnson Crow's 2020 version of 52 Ancestors.  The post topic was "Favorite Photo."

--Nancy.

Copyright ©2020, Nancy Messier.  All Rights Reserved. 
Do not copy or use any content from this blog without written permission from the owner. 

.

6 comments:

  1. What great photos! They capture joie de vivre. That little splasher in the last photo reminds me of Isaac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Brenna. I, too, can imagine that little imp could be Isaac!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful photos. What history do you have of Grandma Emma to go with this? Do you know if the family made the lace or was it purchased? Oh, right, no back story, too bad. There are just so many unknowns. My Grandma Emma Rose was just a little older than yours. I can imagine her wearing a similar waist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you QuiltGranma. I don't have history on the lace but I suspect it was purchased. The newspapers of the time show so many variations of her waist. But, Gramma did sew and crochet so it's possible she made the lace and the blouse, too.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...