Thursday, March 18, 2021

Jane Doyle's 1860 St. Cuthbert's Burial Record

Jane Doyle is my great-great-grandfather Andrew Doyle's older sister.  They are both the children of William and Martha (Reay) Doyle.  Jane died on May 19, 1860, from typhoid fever, which she had had for a year, and chronic enteritis, which had lasted 10 months.  Jane's father died in 1838 and her mother remarried in June, 1848.  Jane's burial was from St. Cuthbert's Church, Bedlington, Northumberland, but I'm uncertain whether she was buried in their graveyard.

In this image the information in the columns, from left to right, are Name, Abode, When Buried, Age, and By whom the Ceremony was performed.



Full page image at right, transcription below.  (To see a larger version of the image click on it and it will open in a new tab where you'll be able to click again to see it even larger.)
Burials in the Parish of BEDLINGTON in the County of NORTHUMBERLAND in the Year 1860
Name.  JANE DOYLE     No. 325
Abode.  BEDLINGTON COLLIERY
When buried.  MAY 21st
Age.  YRS. 32
By whom the Ceremony was performed.  William Crass.

Notes & Comments
  • I learned of this burial through FreeReg, a free transcription service for parish records of births, marriages, deaths, and burials in England.
  • I found the image at FamilySearch, using their Catalog, then using the place search England, Northumberland, Bedlington where I found a list of records for Northumberland.  I chose "England, Northumberland, Bedlington - Church records" and scrolled down until I found "England, Northumberland, Bedlington, St. Cuthbert's Church, parish registers, 1653-1950."  When I clicked that link a long list of links were available.  I wasn't sure I would be able to see them because there was a key symbol next to the camera icon to the right.  They may not be available to everyone. 
This record comes from England, Northumberland, Bedlington, St. Cuthbert's Church, Parish registers, 1653-1950, FHL/DGS 5799770.  It is image number 43 and page number 41 in the record book.  This direct link may or may not work for you:  https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L9QW-52NC?i=42&cat=1910456.  If it doesn't be sure you are signed in to your free FamilySearch account. 

-–Nancy.

Copyright © 2021 Nancy Messier.  All Rights Reserved. 
Do not copy or use any content from this blog without written permission from the owner. 

.

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you that you are able to find all this information! I'm not currently looking, but enjoying what you do find out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, QuiltGranma. Most of what I'm posting now I found a year or two ago and did not post. I'm posting now in conjunction with cleaning up my sources.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...