Monday, May 8, 2023

Robert Laws's 1881 Death Certificate

Robert Laws is my third great-grandfather.  He died in 1881, five years before his wife Elizabeth (Thompson) Laws.  Family information and this death certificate state that he was a coal miner but I have no way of knowing whether he was still working as a miner in 1881 when he was 71.  I hope he wasn't!

My line from Robert is this:  Robert Laws -->  Elizabeth Jane Laws Doyle -->  William Doyle -->  Gust Doyle -->  Lee Doyle -->  me.

This record comes from the U.K. GRO (General Register Office) in Southport, Merseyside.  I found it it their collection of death certificates, Year 1881, Quarter June, District Morpeth, Volume 10B, Page 200, and purchased it as a PDF copy.
This is a transcription of Robert's death certificate.
Superintendent Registrar’s District   Morpeth
Registrar’s Sub-District   Bedlington.
1881.    DEATHS in the Sub-District of Bedlington  in the County of Northumberland
No.   131
Columns
1.  When and Where Died.   Twenty-seventh June.  1881  Cambois, Bedlington
     N.S.D.
2.  Name and Surname.   Robert Laws
3.  Sex.   Male
4.  Age.   71 years
5.  Rank or Profession.   Coalminer
6.  Cause of Death.   Died suddenly from Natural Causes   (No Inquest held)
7.  Signature, Description, and Residence of Informant.   John Laws.  Son.
     Cambois, Bedlington
8.  When Registered.   Twenty-eight June 1881
9.  Signature of Registrar.  Geo. S. Waterson, Registrar

Comment
I always wish British death certificates gave more information:  birth date, parents' names, time of death, etc.  Maybe their modern ones do....  Still, I'm grateful to know Robert's date and place of death, his occupation, and where he lived.  Sometimes we find little or no information at all.

—Nancy.

Copyright © 2023 Nancy Messier.  All Rights Reserved. 
Do not copy or use any content from this blog without written permission from the owner. 

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful discovery. I know I always want to learn more but you do have some information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was pleased to find this certificate as well as his wife's. I have census records from 1841 through 1881, which is helpful, as far as they go. Obviously, still more research to do! Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment, Colleen.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...