Sunday, August 25, 2024

Ancestors Who Suffered the Loss of a Parent at a Young Age - SNGF

Randy's Saturday Night Genealogy Fun this week asked
1)  Do you have ancestors who suffered the loss of one or both parents early in their life?  Did the surviving parent remarry soon after one parent died?  Was a guardian appointed for your ancestor to protect their physical or legal interests?    

2)  Tell us about one or two of your "orphaned" ancestors and how this affected their life.
In five generations I have five ancestors who were young, from 8 years to 1 month, when either a father or mother died.  I don't know whether I feel sorrier for the children left without a parent, or parents left with young children and no spouse.  Either circumstance would be heart-breaking.

These are my five ancestors who became half-orphans.
  1. Lee Doyle, my father, and his twin sister, Leila, were born in February, 1913.  Leila died soon after birth.  Lee was about a month old when his mother, Beulah Mae (Gerner) Doyle, died in early April.  She was 24.  She left behind her husband, Gust, and little Lee, about a month old.

    I believe my father's life was difficult without his mother.  His father remarried a woman who was, perhaps jealous of my father or of his mother.  From what I've heard, she was somewhat abusive and Gust did his best to keep Lee away from her.  My father once said he knew about the stepmother in Cinderella.

    He spent time with his grandparents, William and Tressa (Froman) Doyle.  But a grandmother, no matter how loving, cannot replace a mother.

    Additionally, my father's father, Gust, died when my father was 21 and Gust was 44.

  2. Elizabeth (Armitage) Meinzen, my great-grandmother, was born in 1852.  She was 4 years old when her mother, Eliza (Hartley) Armitage, died of consumption in 1856 at the age of 44.  Eliza left behind her husband, Abel, and two daughters, ages 6 and 4.

  3. Edward Jesse Bickerstaff, my great-grandfather, was born in 1871.  He was 7 when his mother, Emma (Nelson) Bickerstaff, died in 1878.  Emma was 33 years old at the time of her death.  She left her husband, Ellis, and three children, ages 15 to 7.

  4. Tressa Rose (Froman) Doyle, my great-grandmother, was born in 1867.  She was 4 years old when her father, John Froman, died in 1871.  He was about 30 years old at the time of his death.  John left behind his pregnant wife, Catherine (Saylor) Froman, and six children, ages 10 to 1. A baby born 2 months after his death.
    In this case, John left the family in debt and the children were provided a guardian, S. W. Mannheimer, whose identity or relationship I've been unable to determine.  Catherine's father, Jacob D. Seylor/Sailer/Seyler, was the administrator.

  5. Andrew Doyle, my great-great-grandfather, was born in 1836.  He was 2 years old when his father, William Doyle, died in an accident in 1838 when he was about 36.  William left behind his pregnant wife, Martha, and five children ages 12 to 2.  The baby was born six months later.

It is surprising to me that two of these fathers, John Froman and William Doyle, were both coal miners.  William died after being run over by a cart wheel.  Were both accidental mining deaths?  Also surprising is that both of their wives were pregnant at the time of their deaths.

Thanks for the genealogy fun, Randy.

—Nancy.

Copyright © 2024 Nancy Messier.  All Rights Reserved. 
Do not copy or use any content from this blog without written permission from the owner. 

.

4 comments:

  1. Your five ancestors are probably typical of their lifetimes. As your father mentioned, I wonder how many of the children also knew Cinderella's stepmother? Unfortunately, I think that might have been common, particularly if the stepmother gave birth to more children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right, Linda, about my ancestors being typical of their lifetimes. I remember reading somewhere that mothers of the 1800s anticipated that their children would die more other than live. So sad. And, it's probably also true that half orphans had stepmothers like Cinderellas. Also so sad.

      Delete
  2. I think the one of the saddest stories in my family history is Claude Marion who married Nancy May and she died shortly after the birth of Beatrice Marion, their daughter. Claude remarried when Beatrice was three to Myrtle Slaven who also died shortly after delivering twin girls; Velma and Thelma Marion. Claude and Beatrice are found on the next census living with his parents . The twins are found living with their maternal grandparents who raised them. Claude never remarried.
    How are you doing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how sad. I don't know the time-period of these ancestors but death has so often been relentless, but doubly sad to have so many deaths in one family.
    I have a grand-aunt who gave birth to three children, all daughters, in three years in the early 1900s. She died soon after the third daughter was born. That daughter went to live with her paternal grandparents and died soon afterward. The other two daughters lived with two of their mother's sisters and stayed with them till adulthood.
    I'm so grateful for improved medical knowledge.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...