Saturday, October 10, 2009

A Little Genealogy Silliness

I first heard "I Am My Own Grampa" at an outdoor evening performance several summers ago in Nauvoo, Illinois. It sounds preposterous, and perhaps it really is, but I thought this little video demonstrates its possibility quite simply. If true, it certainly would be a genealogist's nightmare filling out family groups sheets and pedigree charts! Enjoy.

And here are the lyrics should you want to figure out the relationships or sing along.

I Am My Own Grampa
by Dwight Latham and Moe Jaffe

Many, many years ago
When I was twenty-three
I got married to a widow
Who was pretty as could be.

This widow had a grown up daughter
With flowing hair of red.
My father fell in love with her
And soon the two were wed.

This made my dad my son-in-law
And changed my very life.
Now my daughter was my mother,
For she was my father's wife.

To complicate the matter
Although it brought me joy,
I soon became the father
Of a bouncing baby boy.

My little baby then became
A brother-in-law to dad,
And so became my uncle,
Though it made me very sad.

For if he was my uncle,
then that also made him brother
To the widow's grown up daughter,
Who of course was my step-mother.

Father's wife then had a son
Who kept them on the run,
And he became my grandson
For he was my daughter's son.

My wife is now my mother's mother
And it makes me blue
Because although she is my wife,
She's now my grandma too.

If my wife is my grandmother,
Then I am her grandchild
And every time I think of it
It simply drives me wild.

For now I have become
The strangest case you ever saw,
As the husband of my grandmother,
I am my own grandpa!

1 comment:

  1. This song is so funny! I can just picture them singing it at Nauvoo.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...