Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Married in 1914




















William Carl Robert Meinzen and Emma Virginia Bickerstaff were married 96 years ago on September 8, 1914, in Mineral Ridge, Trumbull County, Ohio.  He was 22, she was 21.

Though I knew both of them, they weren't story tellers and since I didn't ask many questions, I don't know how they met.  Both of their fathers were carpenters and both lived in the Steubenville/Jefferson County area.  Gramma's family moved to Mineral Ridge sometime after the 1910 census.  Grampa's family stayed in Steubenville. Perhaps he followed her to the Ridge....

I have a number of formal photographs of Emma and yet I have found no wedding photographs.  These two are portraits taken at about the age they were when they married but I doubt they are wedding photographs.  It's possible that Emma's photograph was taken in the traveling clothes she wore after the wedding.  Do you think it looks like a post-wedding traveling suit?

I've searched both Trumbull County and Jefferson County newspapers for a wedding announcement but have not yet found one.  No wedding photographs, no wedding announcement makes me doubly grateful to have a copy of their wedding certificate.

Happy Anniversary, Gramma and Grampa!

--Nancy.

Copyright © 2009-2015 Nancy Messier. All Rights Reserved.
. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...