Monday, October 4, 2010

Last Will & Testament of Elizabeth (Armitage) Meinzen

In the Name of the Benevolent Father of all:-

I, Elizabeth Meinzen of the city of Steubenville, county of Jefferson and State of Ohio, being of full age and of sound mind and memory, do make, publish and declare this to be my last will and testament;

Item l.  I direct that all my just debts and funeral expenses be paid out of my estate as soon as practicable after the time of my decease.

Item ll.  I give, devise and bequeath to my husband Henry Meinzen, during his natural life, all the property, real and personal, of every kind and description, wheresoever and whatsoever it may be, which I may own or have the right to dispose of at the time of my decease, except that bequeathed by Item IV hereof, together with the right to sell or dispose of any or all of the same if necessary for his comfortable care and keep, and direct that his debts for doctor's bills and funeral expenses be paid out of my estate.

Item lll.  After the death of my husband, Henry Meinzen, I give, devise and bequeath to my sons and daughters Henry Meinzen, Isabel Hashman, Wilhelmina Harris, Lulu Stickler [sic], Robert Meinzen and Naomi Rohme [sic], share and share alike, whatever may be left or remain of the estate so devised and bequeathed by me to my said husband.

Item lV.  To my grand-daughter, Elizabeth Anna Meinzen, I give and bequeath the sum of one hundred ($100.00) dollars, and direct my executrix to deposit said sum in a bank at interest, tobe [sic] paid to my said grand-daughter when she reaches the age of 21 years, But if she dies before reaching that age then said sum is to revert to my estate and be paid to my husband, Henry Meinzen, if he be then living, or in case he be then dead, to be paid in equal shares to my children named in Item III hereof.

Item V.  I make, nominate and appoint my daughter, Isabel Hashman, to be the executrix of this my last will and testament, and I request that no bond be required of her as such.

Dated at Steubenville, Ohio, this twenty-third day of March, A. D. 1920.
her
Elizabeth X Meinzen
mark

Signed and acknowledged by the said Elizabeth Meinzen as and for her last will and testament in our presence, and by us subscribed as attesting witnesses in her presence and at her request and in the presence of each other, this 23rd day of March, A.D. 1920.

M. H. Francis residing at Steubenville, Ohio
Sara Mae Crawford residing at Steubenville, Ohio

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Elizabeth passed away on June 26, 1920. The proceedings to probate the will began on July 6, 1920. I was surprised to find that illiterate Elizabeth had a will and her husband, Henry, did not.

This is the first estate file I've found. Because of the information in the file, I was able to find several of Elizabeth's descendants who, until that time, had been hidden; however, I'm still searching for William O. Henderson and Edna Hendricks Pugh, who moved away from Steubenville, Ohio.

1 comment:

  1. I have never thought of that.Yes, A Will is an excellent way into getting detail for a Family Tree.Good Work!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...