Saturday, December 29, 2012

It Wouldn't Be Christmas Without...

... "A Child's Christmas in Wales."  No matter that Christmas was a week ago; no matter that I have no known ancestors in Wales.  Sometime during the weeks before or after Christmas, I find an hour to watch this movie.  It is one of my favorites.

The story was written by Dylan Thomas and is brought to life by several dozen actors.  On Christmas Eve young Thomas, hoping to stay up later than usual, asks his grandfather, Old Geriant, about the Christmases of his childhood in the late 1800s.  Experiences from Grandfather's childhood come to life before our eyes as we listen to the stories he tells Thomas.

This gentle, humorous movie speaks to me of family, of childhood, of love, and of family history.  I highly recommend it.

--Nancy.
.

4 comments:

  1. I have no connection to Wales either and I always listen to Dylan Thomas reading the poem during the Christmas season. I didn't know it was a movie. I will have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I didn't know there was a recording of Dylan Thomas reading it! I'll have to search it out and compare it to the actor who tells the story in the film. You know how it is when you get used to hearing it one way and think it's perfect, and then hear it another way.... Thanks for telling me that, Kristin.

      Delete
  2. Oh thanks for this post, Nancy! Mom's Dad's side are all Welsh so I must get it for her:) Happy New Year!! Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you and she enjoy it when you watch! We just watched it tonight and noticed that it was actually filmed in Wales. Happy New Year to you and yours, Diane.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...