Thursday, September 26, 2013

The Automaton Boy Writer

This video about a beautiful, 240-year-old, mechanical boy has nothing to do with family history (unless you're a descendant of Swiss watchmaker Pierre Jaquet-Droz) but I thought it was fascinating.  Perhaps you will enjoy it, too.



I have never seen this boy in person but many, many years ago I visited a museum in Philadelphia and saw a machine similar to this (sans boy) which wrote and made drawings.  I was amazed that someone could create such a machine.  Enjoy.

--Nancy.
.

2 comments:

  1. Nancy:
    This was quite amazing. Thank you for sharing!

    I have to disagree slightly though . . . as the narrator says at the very end, this is indeed about family history. The mechanized writing boy is a distant ancestor of today's programmable computer. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm chuckling at this comment, John. I hadn't thought of the family history of computers. I enjoy your sense of humor. Thanks for leaving a comment.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...