Friday, October 17, 2014

Follow Friday:  The German-American Genealogist Blog



I am pleased to have discovered Josiah Schmidt's The German-American Genealogist Blog this week and would like to recommend it to you if you're trying to find your German ancestors or learn more about your German-American ancestors.

In honor of German-American Heritage Month, "Oktober," Josiah is posting a German research tip each day.  There are posts about German records; German names and naming patterns; occupations; geography; writing; customs; German websites for research; and more.  Plus more to come.  This is a young blog so there aren't scores of previous posts but the older posts are all excellent and well worth the time to read them. 

In Josiah's podcast, The Average Johann, he interviewed Teva Scheer, author of Our Daily Bread:  German Village Life, 1500-1850.  They discussed the daily life and customs of the common folk who lived in the areas that make up Germany today.  It gave me insight into the livestyles of my ancestors who grew up in Germany (and I realized how grateful I am to not live in such a restrictive time and location). 

When you visit his blog you'll see that the posts are presented with title, date, and a paragraph.  If you want to read the whole post you'll need to click "more."  I follow this blog in feedly, my preferred way to follow blogs and can read the whole post in one go.

With the help of the information in The German-American Genealogist Blog I'm hopeful that I can learn enough to discover the origins of some of my German ancestors.

Now, go read!  You'll be glad you did.

--Nancy.

Copyright © 2014 Nancy Messier. All Rights Reserved.

2 comments:

  1. Gutan Morgan ! That is a great site indeed, and just what I need to keep inspired on my Baden roots !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find them! Did you notice that ancestry.com has some new Baden records online?

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...