Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Feedly Changes

I suppose most readers know what a feed reader is but for those who don't, it's a website where you can create an account, add the url of a blog, and each new blog post will appear in the feed.  You can add many blogs and read through each new post without having to go to each individual blog.  Feedly, The Old Reader, and Bloglovin' are three that I'm acquainted with.  Some display the complete blog post, others a few sentences, others an image and a title; it varies by reader.  Some readers are free, others are not.  I appreciate free but understand that businesses need to make money to continue.

Feedly has been my primary feed reader since Google Reader was discontinued a few years ago.  I use it for family history blogs, quilting blogs, and a few other miscellaneous blogs of interest.  In fact, I probably follow several hundred blogs.  Thank goodness they don't all publish a post every day!

When I opened feedly yesterday I found no feeds and an offer to create my first feed.  What?!  How could that be?  I logged out, then logged back in.  The same thing.  What could be the problem?  I posted a question to their G+ page but no one responded.

This morning I was scouting around on the Feedly website and found this:


Suddenly and without notice or warning, Feedly's free (or Basic) "subscription" allows only 100 feeds.  I can only guess that they deleted my several-hundred-plus feeds because I don't have a Pro subscription (being unaware that I needed one).  If I upgrade to Pro, will my subscriptions suddenly be available again?  If I don't upgrade, how will I decide which of the many blogs I followed in Feedly will become part of the chosen 100?

Thank you, Feedly, for several great free years.

I scouted around and found a post that lists six other free readers, seven including Feedly, but haven't looked into any of them yet.  I'll have to decide whether to limit my reads to 100, pay the cost for unlimited feeds, or switch to a different reader. 

Do you use Feedly?  Have you had a problem or do you have a paid subscription?  If you don't use Feedly, which feed reader do you use?

--Nancy.

Copyright ©2017 Nancy Messier. All Rights Reserved.
.

12 comments:

  1. I use feedly and, several years ago, went to the Pro version because I liked them and figured if no one used Pro, they might disappear. The few times I've had feedly questions, the Pro team has answered them quickly so I've been happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm at the point where I have to decide which way to go, I guess. Feedly hasn't changed -- none of my feeds came back. I really miss having it and it will take me hours and hours to add find and add the blog urls again. Ugh! I'm glad Feedly is still working for you and to learn that the paid version has good support.

      Delete
  2. I have Feedly but never use it. I like going to the actual website, so I just click on blogs from my Reading List in my Blogger dashboard. Now I am curious about my Feedly account.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had actually forgotten that blogger still has a reading list, Wendy. I used it tonight but like Feedly much better. And I think the blogger read only shows blogger blogs, not wordpress or any of the others. I'm curious about your Feedly account, too. Tell me what you find if you check on it, please.

      Delete
  3. How odd... I use Feedly (Basic version) and have several hundred feeds, and this hasn't come up for me. I made the switch the same time as you (when Google Reader went away) and have always been happy with it but never planned on upgrading. I wonder if this is a slow roll-out and just hasn't hit me yet? Anyway, thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was pretty odd, too, Leah. I was hoping things would go back to normal today but they didn't. I've been really satisfied with Feedly but I'm not sure I want to buy a subscription. Please let me know if this change happens to you, too.

      Delete
  4. Hi Nancy I use The Old Reader it is free for up to 100 feeds. I have 90. After that it is $3 a month for up to 500. For a long time I just bookmarked blog at least this way I get notified if they have a new post, but it has a time lag of about 12 hours:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up, Far Side. I still have an account at The Old Reader (surprisingly because they told me if I didn't use it in a specified time they could cancel my account). I looked around today and may begin using it, or splitting up my blogs into several different readers. I'll have to think about it for a day or two before I decide what to do. Maybe this change will cause me to simplify the number of blogs I follow -- but I would surely miss them.

      Delete
  5. I have the paid version for at least a year now because I like the added features like being able to save a post to my Evernote right from Feedly. And like Linda S., I like Feedly and want it to survive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose I should look into the paid version, Anna. It sounds like it has some advantages.

      Delete
  6. I use Bloglovin and have more than 100 blogs that I follow. It does worry me though that it could disappear. When the last blog reader went defunct, they let you get a list you could move over to the new reader. I will have to see if I can find a way to save it just in case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Bloglovin' too. I think there's a way to download a list using an OPML file. I don't know how to create one but that's the type of file the fellow from Feedly sent me to download. I suppose I should figure out how to create one of those files and do it every month or so with both of my readers.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...