Saturday, September 14, 2019

Jacob Meinzen's WWI Draft Registration Card

My grand-uncle, Jacob I. Meinzen, and my grandfather, Robert Meinzen, both filed World War I Registration Cards in two different cities in Ohio on the same day, though possibly not in the same year.  The year is not noted on Jacob's card.  I probably shouldn't assume it was filed in 1917 but I believe it was based on the fact that the other cards in the "34-4-7 A" group in Steubenville were dated 1917.

Less than a year before he filed this draft registration, Jacob married Sudie Coss, and less than four months after this registration he died in an accident at work.

The image of this document comes from FamilySearch's collection of World War I Draft Registration Cards.  Below the image is a transcription.


[Illegible words]  [Handwritten] 240     REGISTRATION CARD     No. 1509
 1  Name in Full   Jacob I. Meinzen      Age, in yrs.   23
 2  Home address   312 S. Lake Erie Ave  Steubenville  Ohio
 3  Date of Birth   Dec 15 1893
 4  Are you (1) a natural-born citizen   Natural born
 5  Where were you born?   Steubenville, Ohio  U.S.A.
 6  If not a citizen...
 7  What is your present trade, occupation, or office?   Pipe Fitter
 8  By whom employed?   La Belle Iron Works      Where employed?   Steubenville Ohio
 9 Have you a father, mother, wife, child under 12, or a sister or brother under 12, solely dependent on you for support? (specify which)?    Wife and Child
10  Married or single (which)?   Married    Race (specify which)   [blank]
11  What military service have you had?   none
12  Do you claim exemption from draft (specify grounds)?   [blank]
I affirm that I have verified above answers and that they are true.
[Signature]   Jacob I. Meinzen

REGISTRAR'S REPORT        34-4-7 A  [stamped at top]
1  Tall, medium, or short (specify which)?   Medium      Slender, medium, or stout (which)?   Medium
2  Color of eyes?   Blue      Color of hair?   Brown      Bald?  No
3  Has person lost arm, leg, hand, foot, or both eyes, or is he otherwise disabled (specify)?   No
I certify that my answers are true, that the person registered has read his own answers, that I have witnessed his signature, and that all of his answers of which I have knowledge are true, except as follows:  [blank]

Fred R Shuratt  (Signature of registrar)
Precinct   1st A. [?]
City or County   Steubenville
State   Ohio.      (Date of registration)   June 5 [1917?]

This document came to my attention as the result of a FamilySearch campaign for World War I draft registrants.  They suggested another dozen or so, some not as closely related as my grandfather and his brother.  Thank you, FamilySearch, for helping me find more low-hanging fruit on the family history tree. 

–Nancy.

Copyright ©2019, Nancy Messier.  All Rights Reserved.
Do not copy or use any content from this blog without written permission from the owner.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...