Thursday, April 15, 2021

Walter Meinzen's 1907 Jefferson County, Ohio, Death Record

I continue to clean up sources in RootsMagic (RM). I pick a source--any source--and see what it needs to get it up to snuff, fix it, then rename it.  Sometimes I post it here, too.

During early research I found books of transcribed county BMD records, then I wrote to the county courthouse and requested copies of birth and death certificates.   They kindly sent me type-written transcriptions of the records on nice, white papers.  (How little I knew!)  Now images of the records are freely and immediately available online at FamilySearch (sometimes with a little time needed to search for them).

Below is one of the records I most recently improved in RM by going to the original source images and entering a transcription of the information.

Walter Meinzen is my maternal grandfather's brother.  He died in 1907 in a horrific accident at LaBelle Iron Works in Steubenville, Ohio.  You wouldn't have a clue how awful the accident was by reading this one line in the county death registry, recorded more than a year after his death, with his surname misspelled.  And the informant is not even a family member.  (The image below is too small to read as it is but if you click on it, it will open in a new window where you can enlarge it and see details.)



This is a transcription of the record.
Record of Deaths in Jefferson County, Ohio For the Year Ending March 31, 1908.  Page 25
Date   June 11, 1908
Number   348
Name in Full   Meizen [sic] Walter
Sex   Male
Age   23 years 6 months 18 days
Color   white
Condition   married
Date of Death   May 31 1907
Cause of Death   Accidental
Occupation   Mill-wright
Place of Birth   Steubenville, O.
Place of Death   Steubenville, O.
Parents Name When Infant Dies   [blank]
By Whom Reported   R. P. Bishop

This record was found in FamilySearch's collection, Ohio, County Death Records, 1840-2001.   I chose Jefferson County which led me to Jefferson County Death records, 1867-1908.  From there I was able to find Walter's 1908 death record here, where you can see the two-page image.  To see these images you will probably need to sign in to your free FamilySearch account or create one if you don't have one.

-–Nancy.

Copyright © 2021 Nancy Messier.  All Rights Reserved. 
Do not copy or use any content from this blog without written permission from the owner. 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...