Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Not Helpful

Two weeks ago we were visiting my daughter and her family.  While there I played dominoes with my grandson, M. age 9, and granddaughter,  O. age 7.  They were enthusiastic and it was all fun and games until we weren't able to add to our domino trains.  Without a domino to play, O. chose one from the boneyard, looked at it, looked around to see if she could place it on her train or someone else's and, when she couldn't, declared, "Not helpful."  

Today I say that Microsoft Windows is not helpful.  Two days ago it updated, and last night it told me it was configuring.  When it finished I had a whole new, unhelpful, computer configuration.  Nothing looked the same and the files were not readily available to my word processing program and were hard to find.  (I'm a dinosaur who still uses WordPerfect (WP).  We are compatible.  We know and like each other, and neither of us has changed for at least a dozen years.  I don't like change, which makes this nonsense with Windows even more unpleasant.  Not helpful.)  I was finally able to find and move some files and folders so they appeared in WP but by the time I figured it out, it was nearing 2 a.m., 3:30 by the time I went to bed.  Now that we're into a new day, I can't remember where I found the files or how I moved them.  But I (or my new Windows) didn't do such a great job last night/early this morning because the files and folders I moved are a jumble, not at all similar in arrangement to how they were before Windows reconfigured my computer.  I'm trying to figure out how to corral them back to their own folders.

Just not helpful.

Today I decided I should check on my photos.  (I was finally able to find them last night and let the computer, via Picasa, gather them together.)  Now, sadly, I have triple or more the number of folders I had before the reconfiguration and some have the same name (some are named the same thing 3 or 4 times) all with different numbers of photos, some duplicates and some not.  Windows renamed some of the photos or, maybe I should say, added letters, numbers, and underlines to the names they already had.  Those are the easy ones to know they should be deleted.  The others....  How on earth do I determine which are duplicates when they are in separate files?!  And Windows acts like they are not there.

Add to that the fact that Blogger is unable to find photos on my computer.  Well, I'm not able to find some of them either, for that matter.  Is there a lack of communication between Picasa and the computer?  I don't know what's happening.  Besides that, Windows won't let me find or change a photo for the background of my desktop computer, either.

One good thing is that RootsMagic found my files (two with the same name and date, identical as far as I can tell) and everything seems to be in order.  That's a blessing!

My daughter suggested I might have a virus.  I ran TrendMicro's HouseCall last night and again today and no threats were found either time.

I know that in the whole of life, considering the challenges that I could be facing, this is a small inconvenience.  It's not health or life and death, it just prevents me from working on family history -- sources in RootsMagic, renaming photos, etc.  It all just makes me tired, sad, and a little stressed. 

No help.  (No photos, either, for obvious reasons.)

Anyone else have a similar problem with a Windows update?

-–Nancy.

Copyright © 2021 Nancy Messier.  All Rights Reserved. 
Do not copy or use any content from this blog without written permission from the owner. 

.

4 comments:

  1. I have the same problem, but mine was caused by a computer crash and trying to recollect everything from the external hard drive. Lots of files with the same names since I had organized files after I backed them up. It is going to be a long process to put them in an order where I can find them again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, ugh! It's good you had a back-up but what a mess to have to put them in order and delete the duplicates. I hope it goes well and doesn't take as long as you think, Shasta.

      Delete
  2. Nancy and Shasta, I feel your pain; had similar over last to laptops dying, even with all the back ups available on them. Having so some stuff from scratch. GJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, GJ, I'm so sorry. It would be just awful to have to go from scratch to get everything back. I hope it all works out for the better for you.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...