Saturday, August 14, 2021

Photographs without Stories


"‘I always think they’re rather sad things, photographs, when someone dies.  One is left with the pictures, but none of the stories.’"                     Susanna Kearsley
                           in Every Secret Thing

If your family is like mine, you have more photos than you have stories to go with them.  Don't you wish for more?  Names for faces, locations, any details to add context to the photos?

I have few stories about the photos in my mother's album.  She was such a private person that a "story" might be a sentence long--if she told any story at all.  I always wish for more. 

In the case of this photograph, my mother was good friends with another nursing student in the photo whose daughter contacted me and shared this photo and a few others, along with the story her mom told her.   (Thank you, Dorla!)

But there are so many other photos and no one to tell the stories. . . .

-–Nancy.

Copyright © 2021 Nancy Messier.  All Rights Reserved. 
Do not copy or use any content from this blog without written permission from the owner. 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...