Thursday, January 20, 2022

A 1929 Video Interview with an 87-Year-Old Man


Be sure to turn your speakers up and, if possible, put the captions on.  They're not completely accurate but still helpful.  The first half of the video is a restored and colorized version of the original film; at about 4:55 see side-by-side versions of the original and the restored film.

I love his sentiment that work is something you have to do but if you're doing something you like and want to do, that's play. 

I also appreciated knowing that a 50 mile trip in the speaker's younger years took all day, whereas in 1929 or so, it took him and his son an hour and a half. 

I first saw this at Eastman's Online Genealogy Blog.

How I wish I had a recorded interview of one of my own ancestors!

--Nancy.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this! I wonder who this "Mr. King" is, genealogically speaking? He mentions Hudson (New York, presumably, i.e. reference to the Catskills). I have King family relatives from New York. A quick look at Wikipedia for Hudson indicates that some of the early settlers were from Providence, RI, which again ties to a familiar pattern of migration of my ancestors. Before I hear him referred to by name, my thought was that he looked like photos I've seen of my great-grandfather, hoe in hand, working in his garden where he loved to spend time. Anyway, thanks again, and if you know where I might find more information on the name of the interviewee, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, Paulette, I wish I had more information about Mr. King but I don't.  It's interesting that he seems to look like your great-grandfather.  Was your g-grandfather alive in 1929?  I wish I could offer suggestions for finding more information but I don't have any.  Could you show this to older relatives in your family who might be able to recognize this man?  Best wishes to find more information!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...