Sunday, April 10, 2022

There We Are — There I Am! — in the 1950 U.S. Census

While anticipating the publication of the 1950 census I realized that if I'd been born just 2½ months later, I would have had to wait until 2032 to find myself in a U.S. Census.  While I'm not excited to be older, I am pleased to have lived long enough to see myself in this document.

And there we are, my family and I, on Furnace Street in Mineral Ridge, Weathersfield Township, Trumbull County, Ohio, E.D. 78-208, census page 10 (National Archives image 11).  (See National Archives link to images here.)  We begin on line 22.  (Click the image to enlarge it in a new tab.)


Beginning on line 22 are
    My father, Lee, age 35, was working as a turn foreman at a steel mill.
    My mother, Audrey, was 34, at home.
    My brother, Robert, was 10.
    My sister, Marsha, was 6.
    Me, Nancy D., born February.  (Who provided that misinformation, I wonder?)

It was a surprise to find that little Mineral Ridge was divided into to two Enumeration Districts.  The other, to the east, is E.D. 78-207.  Some relatives who lived just a block away or down the street from us are in E.D. 78-207.

Because my grandparents lived just two houses away from us, I anticipated finding them on the same page as my family.  But nope, they're several pages and many houses away.  Who knows the path of the census taker!

The census page above can be found here at the National Archives 1950 census website.


Won't you join me in in the 1950 U.S. Census Community Project by comparing computer-read names with transcriptions of those names? It takes only a few minutes to do 20 names. If you're interested click the image at right to learn more.

-–Nancy.

Copyright © 2022 Nancy Messier.  All Rights Reserved. 
Do not copy or use any content from this blog without written permission from the owner. 

.

2 comments:

  1. I'm jealous - - - I won't be in this census. I probably won't be around for the next one to be available. It's kind of bittersweet because my sister will be in the 1950 census but she passed away so she won't be able to see it. It's fun to see oneself in print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll be around for the 1960 census, Robin! (But we do never know what the next day, month, year, decade will bring.) I'm so sorry about your sister. Would she have been excited to see herself in the census?

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...