Monday, August 22, 2022

Pistachios - Monday Memory

Photo courtesy of
jtlewis, StockFreeImages.com

I first learned about pistachios from my brother, Bob, who was (and still is) 11 years older than me.  While in high school in the 1950s he worked at Beazel's, Mineral Ridge's only grocery store.

One afternoon when I was perhaps 7 or 8, we were driving to I don't remember where when he pulled into Beazel's parking lot and told me to wait in the car.  (You have to understand that this was a small town--a village, really--in the 1950s, when kids waited in cars without parents or older brothers being concerned.) 

Bob walked out of the store a few minutes later with a clear bag with something red in it.  He told me they were pistachios, a kind of nut, and offered me some to try.  Oh my goodness, I loved them immediately.  They were delicious and I think we finished the bag.  If you've ever eaten red pistachios you probably remember how they turned your fingers red.  It seemed strange but I never asked why.

Though I loved them, they weren't something I spent my money on.  What little money I had came from my allowance and mostly went to buy either ice cream cones in the summer, or M&Ms.

It wasn't until years later, as a young adult, that I rediscovered pistachios at a health food coop.  I was surprised that they weren't red but pleased that they were as delicious as I remembered. 

They've become one of my favorite snacks and these days I spend my money on them--and shun M&Ms..
.
Did you eat red pistachios as a kid?

I anticipate that Monday Memory posts will become an irregular series focusing on my childhood and young adult memories.  If you are a child of the 1950s, perhaps you will identify with some of the memories I share.

-–Nancy.

Copyright © 2022 Nancy Messier.  All Rights Reserved. 
Do not copy or use any content from this blog without written permission from the owner. 

.

4 comments:

  1. I was not introduced to pistachios, but waiting in the car was a common and accepted experience. I'll look forward to you Monday Memories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think time were safer in the 1950s, Kathy. I hope my Monday Memories don't disappoint.

      Delete
  2. Hi Nancy... It has been a while. When I was in the Airforce we would have our fellow airmen bring back sacks of pistachios after temporary duty in Turkey... I was surprised that the red coloring was artificial. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see your comments again, Kirk. Gosh, sacks of pistachios sounds wonderful! Thank you for your service in the Air Force.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...