Monday, October 10, 2022

A Nighttime Walk - Monday Memory


My mom was a worrier, though most of the time she kept her worries to herself.  She was also an introvert and had (or chose) few outlets for social interaction.  She was not a joiner.  The only organizations she belonged to, as far as I remember, were the P.T.A. and a gathering of nurses she'd graduated with.  All this to say that my mom didn't get out much or have many interactions with others.

Most days Mom finished the housework before dinner.  After doing this dishes with the help of my sister or me, this left her evenings free to relax.

On occasional fall evenings, after it was dark, my mom would take a walk.  I was four or five the first time she invited me to go with her.  We put on sweaters or coats, depending on the weather, and left by the front door.  How unusual because we were backdoor people.  What a surprise to be outside taking a walk at night!  We looked for the moon.  She pointed out stars.  We noticed whose curtains were open or closed.  And we noticed the sounds and smells around us.  We walked to the end of our street, then back home again.

The memory ends there.  I don't remember what we did when we arrived home.

I suppose my mother needed the fresh air, a fresh perspective, and a little exercise to renew her spirit and get a good night's sleep.

It's an odd little memory to have stuck with me all these years.

Do you have any childhood memories that seem insignificant but for some reason stay with you?

—Nancy.

Copyright © 2022 Nancy Messier.  All Rights Reserved. 
Do not copy or use any content from this blog without written permission from the owner. 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...