Friday, May 13, 2011

Blueberry Cheesecake - a Favorite Family Recipe

Blueberry Cheesecake is delicious any time of the year but it is especially delicious during the warmer months because it's stored in the freezer and served frozen or just slightly thawed.

This recipe came to us from our dear Aunt Tressa Doyle Wilson. Several families were at her home for a picnic one summer when she served it. We fell in love with it. My sister asked for the recipe and Aunt Tressa willingly shared it.

Not long after that my sister noticed that a local newspaper, The Niles Daily Times, was accepting recipes for a recipe contest and book they were compiling and submitted it. My memory tells me that it won a prize of $10.00 and that she sent half the money to Aunt Tressa. My sister doesn't remember that it won a prize. I hope to narrow the date of publication of the recipe book and see if I can find the recipe. (I hope The Times will be available online soon for easy searching!)

If you make this, I hope you enjoy it!

Blueberry Cheesecake
Mix together:
10 graham cracker rectangles, pressed into crumbs
1/4 cup butter melted
1/4 cup sugar
Press into an 8" x 8" baking pan.

Beat together until smooth and creamy:
2 eggs
1 8-ounce package cream cheese [You can substitute Neufchatel for a lower fat version.]
1/2 cup sugar
Pour over the crumb mixture. Bake in 350-degree oven for 15 minutes or until set but not too brown. Let cool.

Pour 1 can blueberry pie filling over the the cheesecake.

Top with whipped topping and freeze.

Enjoy!

Additional note: My sister noted that the addition of 1 tsp. lemon juice in the blueberry filling will improve the flavor. I've never tried it but I'm sure she's right. She also pointed out that this is a convenient recipe to make a day or more before it's needed (unless someone enjoys a piece, or two, before the day it's to be served).

4 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious, can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought something was missing on the blueberry cheesecake recipe, and in addition to the cream cheese, sugar, one must add 2 eggs. Also to make the blueberry pie filling more tasty, one can add a teaspoon of lemon juice, and the flavor improves.... It IS good, and can be made ahead, which is a convenience, if someone does not get into the freezer to take a piece, or two...
    Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  3. For anyone reading this post and the comments -- I changed the recipe to include the eggs. It's now accurate!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...