Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Nine Turning Ten

Every 9-year-old girl looks forward to her next birthday and I was no exception.  In our house birthdays were special because we could choose the meal we wanted Mom to make, choose the kind of cake and frosting we wanted her to bake, and could invite a friend or relative for dinner.  And, of course, there was a wish to make, candles to blow out, and at least one present.

The year I turned 10, my birthday was on a Saturday.  That morning Mom sent me on an errand to Beazel's, the local grocery store two blocks away.  On the way, Linda Patterson came out of her house and walked part way with me.  Linda and I were in different grades in school and while we were friendly, we didn't spend much time together.  She began excitedly talking about birthdays and birthday parties.  I knew there was no way she would know it was my birthday so I was surprised at her topic of conversation.

When I returned home from the store, Gramma called and invited me to eat lunch with her and Grampa.  Picky me.  I wanted to know what they were eating before I accepted the invitation.  (She could have served me bread and butter and I would have been thrilled, but if she was making tuna sandwiches and I had to eat them, I wasn't interested.)  I think she finally persuaded me to join them when she told me we would drive into Niles after lunch. 

In the photo at right you can see what happened when I arrived home after our trip to Niles.  Yes, I was surprised!

I can't remember party activities.  Perhaps we played Pin the Tail on the Donkey.  Maybe my older sister, Marsha, helped.  Details have faded from my memory.  I'm grateful Mom thought to take photographs.

Here we are with candles lit.  Clockwise from front left are Audrey Jenkins, Janet Grubbs, Kathy Ambrose, Harriet Bowser, Marsha Dell, Beverly Bowser, Linda Patterson, Phyllis Bowser, and Marsha Koncsol (with her tongue stuck out).  I'm front and center.

Someone was missing in the photo above.  Here we are again.  Front, left to right:  me, Kathy Ambrose, Ann Walter, Linda Patterson, Marsha Koncsol, and Janet Grubbs.  Rear, left to right:  Beverly Bowser, Audrey Jenkins, Harriet Bowser, Phyllis Bowser, and Marsha Dell.

Notice that we were all wearing dresses, the standard party wear at that time.  Pants were for playtime, dresses for school, church, parties, and all other occasions. We looked forward to getting dressed up.

As I remembered and thought about this party, I suddenly realized that it was a hugely generous gift for my mother to host a birthday party for me.  She was a very private person and was extremely careful and protective about her home.  To have 10 little girls there for a party must have nearly frazzled her nerves.  It's strange that only now am I recognizing the birthday party for the gift it was.  Thank you, Mom!


This post is being contributed to 123rd Edition of the Carnival of Genealogy:  A Birthday Party! which is hosted by Jasia at Creative Gene.  I'm sending thanks to her for hosting the Carnival and happy birthday wishes because she's celebrating her own birthday in November.  Thank you, Jasia, and Happy Birthday!
.

15 comments:

  1. I love the look on your face as you walked in. What fun you must have had with your friends.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can hardly remember the activities of the party, Dee, but I'm sure we had fun. Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  2. How cute and you remembered all the friends' names. By the way - Niles WHERE? We have a Niles here in Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Niles, Ohio. I forget to identify the state sometimes.

      I was surprised to recognize and remember all the girls' names, what with my aging memory.

      Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment, Cheryl.

      Delete
  3. What a fine memory, and how wonderful that you have the photos too. Mostly though, it's so touching how you think back on it and recognize the special efforts your mother made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and commenting, Christine. I think that when I was a kid I really didn't recognize some of the things my parents did as gifts or blessings. I'm glad to be able to recognize them now.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, Brenna. I'm grateful to came to read and left a comment. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing your birthday story in the COG, Nancy. And thank you for the birthday wishes! The photos are evidence that you had a wonderful party with many friends and a loving mom to host it. What a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Jasia, and leaving a comment. Thanks also for hosting the COG. It's a great idea and a great way for us to share a particular topic with each other.

      Delete
  6. Nancy, A delightful post. What a wonderful surprise, and grandma and grandpa were right in there helping Mom setting up the surprise. Great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joan. I appreciate your comment. In fact, I wonder how many others may have been behind-the-scenes keeping it all a secret. My father and sister probably knew and had to keep it quiet, too. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  7. Great story and photos! Your party was certainly a memorable gift from your mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Cynthia, it was a memorable gift. It's too bad I didn't recognize how great a gift when I was 10! Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  8. I don't think most of us recognize those gifts when we're kids. You do look so happy and surprised in the first picture. I bet Linda could barely keep it secret. Good memories.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...