MEINZEN (searching for Sophia (Meinzen) Kropp and family)
- Meintzen - Church records of Zion United Christian Church (previously Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church), Steubenville, Ohio, noting Carl Kropp's death and his wife's maiden name and marriage date
- Minsinger - Obituary of Carl Kropp published in The Steubenville Daily Gazette, Wednesday, May 31, 1905
- Meingen - Obituary of Minnie (Kropp) Schuette, Sophia's daughter, in The Herald-Star (Steubenville, Ohio), Monday, May 20, 1946
- Meinsen - Ohio Death Certificate of William Henry Kropp, Sophia's son, September 27, 1945, and Marriage application of Sophia Kropp, Sophia's daughter, and John Spahn, December 5, 1899
- Meinzen - Ohio Death Certificate of Sophia (Meinzen) Kropp, September 27, 1920
Previously noted surname variations:
MEINZEN (searching for Henry Carl and family)
- Minson - 1870 U.S. Census, Steubenville, Jefferson County, Ohio
- Minzen - 1880 U.S. Census, Steubenville, Jefferson County, Ohio
- Mincin - 1920 U.S. Census, Steubenville, Jefferson County, Ohio
- Meinzer - 1926, obituary in The Steubenville Herald Star, December 30, 1925
Notes and Comments
Had I found Meingen or Minsinger when I first began family history research I would have completely discounted them as not my family. In fact, I wasn't sure Minson, Minzen, Mincin, and Meinzer were mine during those early months. It didn't take long to learn that surname variations abound.
I often think that the spelling of a name - first, middle, or last - is at least partially the result of language and accent, especially in the days before most people were literate. Meinzen can become Meintzen when spoken with a strong German accent, Meinsen when spoken with a less strong accent. Bell can become Beall with a southern accent. Armitage became Armiddage with a British accent or a lazy tongue.
Other contributions to spelling variations can be hearing impairment on the part of the person recording the name and illegible handwriting if a document must be transcribed for publication or for some other reason.
Copyright ©2016 Nancy Messier. All Rights Reserved.