Sunday, April 14, 2019

My Grandparents Never Took a DNA Test

The rising star of genealogy seems to be DNA, the scientific aspect of family history that suggests relationships between people.  If none of my grandparents ever took DNA tests how would my taking a DNA test in any way connect me to them?  If their genes are not currently available for testing it seems like a closed case.  I'm more than a little skeptical about how a DNA test can tell who my ancestors are and where they lived when there is no DNA for those ancestors (unless, of course, someone dug up a cemetery plot and found a few strands of hair still intact).  I acknowledge that DNA testing might help me find living relatives but I doubt it will connect me to ancestors.

I'm a novice to DNA but there are a few things I've learned as I've researched.
  • There are three types of DNA tests:  mitochondrial/mtDNA (passed from mothers to their children); Y-DNA (passed through the male line); and autosomal.  Autosomal gives the most results. 
  • If I were to take a DNA test, the testing company would identify living relatives only if they had also taken a DNA test with the same company. 
  • The ethnicity estimates continue to change as companies add more and more individuals' DNA result.  Because each company who offers testing has its own collection of DNA samples ethnicity estimates can vary from company to company.  Estimates will change as more people take DNA tests.

Resources (interesting and helpful though, obviously, not all-encompasing)

Articles

For now I believe I'll follow the lead of my grandparents and other ancestors by not taking a DNA test, though perhaps I'll take one sometime in the future.

This post was written for Amy Johnson Crow's 2019 version of 52 Ancestors.  The post topic for the week was "DNA."

--Nancy.

Copyright ©2019, Nancy Messier.  All Rights Reserved. 
Do not copy or use any content from this blog without written permission from the owner.

.

8 comments:

  1. I guess the idea of shared DNA is to compare notes with a Match to find that ancestor. That in itself relies on good research. One of my 2nd cousins is tracking whether we descend from A or B. For a long time I thought A, but his matches indicate B. That is probably true, but I want to be sure they REALLY descend from B, not that they just grabbed B off someone's tree on Ancestry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find confirmation for your A or B, Wendy! I think it's hard to tell how careful another researcher is until you can look at the same documents he/she used and confirm for yourself. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. Dna won't tell you who your ancestors were, but will allow you to connect with relatives you didnt know youbjas so that you can solve the puzzle of who your ancestors were. It's a tool, not an answer. Also, GEDMatch/Genesis allows people to compare DNA done at different companies. Dna testing certainly isn't the end all and be all of genealogy, but it is one more tool in the toolbox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of thinking of DNA as a tool, Mary. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. DNA certainly isn't a magic bullet, and I wouldn't put much faith in the pie charts and admixture results all the testing companies tout in their advertisements. But, it can produce helpful leads in which to take your research. I have numerous lines where the paper trail has seemingly run out, only to have new avenues of research open up thanks to DNA. Have I learned anything I feel comfortable adding to my tree this way? Not yet, but I'm enjoying researching the possibilities that weren't there before. I also feel that it is a genealogist's responsibility to leave no stone unturned, and DNA has helped me to do that. DNA can also help you to learn more about the lives of more recent ancestors and connect with relatives you didn't know you had - the best example of this is when I discovered that my great-grandfather, as a teenager, had had a child with the girl next door. That being said, DNA testing isn't for everyone and I can respect your decision to forgo it at this time. If you ever do want to revisit this topic, you might wish to explore Blaine Bettinger and Roberta Estes wonderful and thorough blogs on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about DNA, Leah. You've stated some persuasive reasons to use DNA testing.

      Delete
  4. I took a DNA test about four years ago. Initially, it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know about my heritage. But, recently I was matched up with a 5th cousin who has the surname of Hardin, which is a family that we've hit a brick wall in my tree. I've contacted him and haven't heard back yet. But, according to the charts, he could be descended from my ancestors brother. If his family tree can be traced to his great great great great grandfather. . . then it would be my 4Xs great grandfather too. I know that's really stretching things but it's worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may be stretching it, Robin, but if it were me and I could find documents to support the line, I'd be thrilled. I hope your 5th cousin contacts you.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...