Wednesday, January 20, 2021

The Places They Lived: Robert and Elizabeth (Thompson) Laws & Their Family, from 1810 to 1881

As I was editing my source titles in RootsMagic I noticed, again, how often Robert and Elizabeth (Thompson) Laws, my great-great-great-grandparents, moved.  If the 1851 and 1861 U.K. Censuses can be trusted for accuracy of the birth locations of the children, it looks like it was every few years.  (There are a few variations in other census records.)

The years and the places they lived
  • 1810   Jarrow, Durham - Robert born
  • 1817   Bykerhill, Northumberland - Elizabeth born
  • 1834   Tynemouth, Northumberland - Robert & Elizabeth married
  • 1835   Earsdon, Northumerland - Robert, Jr., born
  • 1836   Earsdon, Northumberland - Thomas born
  • 1838   Earsdon, Northumberland - Margaret born
  • 1840   Earsdon, Northumberland - Margaret born
  • 1841   Seymour Street, Wingate Grange, Kelloe, Easington, Durham
  • 1842   Wingate, Northumberland - George born
  • 1844   Seaton Delaval, Northumberland - Jane born
  • 1845   Earsdon, Northumberland - Elizabeth Jane born
  • 1847   Cramlington, Northumberland - Isabella born
  • 1849   Cramlington, Northumberland - William born
  • 1851   Cramlington, Northumberland - Anthony born
  • 1851   Barrington Main Cotts, West Sleekburn, Morpeth, Northumberland
  • 1854   Felling Down, Durham - Matthew born
  • 1858   Bebside, Northumberland, son John born
  • 1861   North Seaton, Morpeth, Northumberland
  • 1871   7 Watergate Street, Cambois, Bedlingtonshire, Northumberland
  • 1881   9 Watergate Street, Bedlington, Bedlingtonshire, Morpeth, Northumberland

As a married couple, Robert and Elizabeth lived in nine places, the longest of which was Earsdon, for about six or seven years.  (Robert was a coal miner and I read once that miners in the 1800s moved often, though I'm not sure why.)  It's true these ancestors likely didn't have the possessions we have now but I can't imagine that a move with so many children would be easy, no matter the number of possessions.  In searching for the locations where they lived, I learned that some of them no longer exist.  Just gone.  Others have become parts of nearby towns and cities with only remnants of the original towns remaining.  Others are still there, but not as they were two centuries ago.

I'm always interested to learn how couples met before modern transportation.  I've never been able to find out for any of my ancestors except my parents.  I was particularly interested to know the distance between Byker Hill, where Elizabeth was born, and Tynemouth, where she and Robert were married. 


To the right is a sort of railroad route from an 1899 book, Comprising Northern Counties, which gives distances in miles, probably via train route rather than walking or riding on a horse.  It appears to be about 8¾ miles from Byker Hill to Tynemouth.  That's practically no distance at all these days, but in the early 1800s...?  How long would it have taken to go from one place to the other?  And then, consider moving from one home to the other.  Perhaps one of these days I'll locate a map (I haven't found one yet from the mid-1800s with most of these places on it) and plot the locations and distances.

A few years ago I thought it would be interesting to make a list of all the places in Northumberland where my ancestors had lived, just in case I ever get a chance to go to England to visit.  I can see I already have a healthy list, and that's only one family.

Do you do this kind of thing for your ancestors who lived in a general geographic area for many years?  If so, have you made any interesting discoveries?  I find it hugely interesting.

–Nancy.

Copyright ©2021-2023, Nancy Messier.  All Rights Reserved. 
Do not copy or use any content from this blog without written permission from the owner. 

.

4 comments:

  1. I notice when people moved but have never written it down like you have. Like you, I always wonder about how people met. If they are only a house or two apart in a census, I figure ok - neighbors. When they are pages apart, then I wonder how far that really was. I assume they met in church. Maybe you've heard the theory that our ancestors married someone within a 3-mile radius - the dating circle - because people were not as mobile as we might think. My great-grandparents lived in 2 different counties, so I have been very curious about how they got together. When I looked at a map, I realized they were almost "back door neighbors" because they both lived near the edge of their county. They were much closer to each other than I would have thought. Still, what were the circumstances that brought them together? I'll never know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard the 3-mile theory, Wendy, and I believe, in the case of many of my ancestor couples, it's true. Those old census records aren't particularly helpful when it comes to pinpointing exact locations where ancestors lived, except that we can guess geographic proximity by how houses/lines away they were in census records. If only our ancestors had written everything down, journal-like, we'd be in great shape!

      Delete
  2. I noted that Margaret was born twice, 2 years apart... I assume the first one died. Then a year apart us Jane then Elizabeth Jane. Same circumstances there? There are so many questions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they were two different daughters named Margaret and the first one died, QuiltGranma. In some areas in the 1800s and before it was common for the name of a child who died to be given to the next or later child. Both Jane and Elizabeth Jane survived. I don't have any information about the use of the first name as a middle name for Elizabeth Jane. Yes, always questions. It seems that one answer sometimes brings about two more questions sometimes.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...