Sunday, January 24, 2021

Who Will Tell Their Stories?

From The Sweetness of Forgetting by Kristen Harmel.
    ‘When I realized that the ones I loved were never coming home, I began to think about the great tragedy, not just of their deaths but of the loss of their legacies....  For when you take away an entire family, and they all perish, who will tell their stories?’
    ‘No one,’ I murmur.
    ‘Précisément.  And when that occurs, it is as if their lives have been lost twice over....’

This conversation took place about a family lost in World War II.  I think it's equally true of our ancestors, whether they lived and died during a war or lived and died during times of peace.  If the stories of our ancestors are not told it is as if their lives have been lost.

–Nancy.

Copyright ©2021, Nancy Messier.  All Rights Reserved. 
Do not copy or use any content from this blog without written permission from the owner. 

.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes, it is.  I just wish more stories had come to me first-hand.

      Delete
  2. Absolutely agree with this sentiment. Every caption, every story, every bio keeps the memory of our ancestors alive!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...