Monday, January 25, 2021

William Newell McClelland's 1942 Pennsylvania Delayed Birth Certificate

I knew William N. McClelland as Cub, a nickname I loved.  Because he and his wife, Evie (Evelyn (Leathers) McClelland), were my parents' contemporaries, I always thought I should address them as uncle and aunt.  In the 1950s and '60s it was uncommon for a child to call an adult by his or her first name.  My father explained that Evie was his cousin, his father's sister's daughter, and therefore, she and Cub were my cousins, too.  Cousins were called by first names no matter their ages.  And that's what we did.

Evie and Cub lived in Sharon, just across the Ohio/Pennsylvania border from Youngstown, Ohio, but it was still a bit of a drive in those days.  We visited at least several times a year.  I have a few fun memories of visits.  Evie used Fiestaware dishes-- a riot of bright, beautiful colors, and a joy to my childhood eyes.  Evie also introduced me to buttered popcorn.  Popcorn was one of my favorite snacks and the day we visited, she gave my sister and me a bowl of warm popcorn.  I was surprised that it was wet.  I quietly mentioned it to my sister who explained that it had butter on it.  Butter!  On popcorn!  What a novel idea.  When I looked closer I saw a pool of butter at the bottom of the bowl.  There was no butter in our home so it would never have occurred to me to put popcorn on butter.

I continue to find Pennsylvania Delayed Birth Records at FamilySearch a helpful source of information for ancestors and relatives who were born during the last decades of the 1800s and the first few decades of the 1900s.  The records are arranged in alphabetical order by last name if you decide to page through the books' digital images.  Of course, the search box is most helpful.  If you have a free FamilySearch account you should be able to see Cub's certificate here.  Again, I'm not sharing an image of this document because of contract restrictions.
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania File No. B-225 Sept. 1942
County of Mercer Registered No. 1443
Delayed Birth Certificate Filing Date Oct 23, 1942
Special Registration. Date of Issuance Oct. 23, 1942
Full Name William Newell McClelland    Sex Male  
Date of Birth August 12 1904
Place of Birth
County Mercer
City, Boro, Town, Village, Township Stoneboro
If hospital, give name and address [blank]

Father of Child
Full Name Joseph Louis McClelland
Color or Race White Age at time of this birth 24 yrs
Birthplace Raymilton, Pa.
Occupation Railroad engineer
Present Address New Smyrna, Florida

Mother of Child
Full Name Lizzie Ann Newell
Color or Race White Age at time of this birth 23 yrs.
Birthplace Fox Lake, Wisconsin
Occupation Housewife
Present Address Stoneboro, Pa.

Twin or triplet [blank]
Was mother married to father of child yes
Children Born to This mother
A. Children born alive and living at time of this birth, including this child 1
B. Previous children born alive but dead at time of this birth [blank]
C. Previous children born dead (stillborn) [blank]
Total number, including this birth 1

If attending physician or midwife is still living have him (her) sign here [blank]
I, William Newell McClelland , being first duly sworn to oath, testify that the facts concerning my birth set forth upon this application are true and correct.
( Signature of Applicant) William Newell McClelland [typewritten]
(Present Address of Applicant) Lyle Drive, Sharon, Pa., R. D. 2
I testify that the above applicant for registration of facts of birth has appeared before me and testified to their truth as set forth and affixed h [blank]  signature thereto in my presence this 19th day of October , 19 42 .
Helen Guyton, N. P. , Stoneboro, Pa.
Affidavit of Physician or Midwife [blank]
Affidavit of Priest or Minister [blank]

Affidavit of Relative
State of Pennsylvania
County of Mercer ss.
I, Lizzie A. McClelland , being duly sworn on oath, do testify that I am the mother of William Newell McClelland and that the facts contained in the attached or foregoing are true and correct and that to the best of my knowledge William Newell McClelland was born on August 12, 1904 at Stoneboro, Pa. and that I have known him for 38 years.
(Signature of Affiant)
Lizzie A. McClelland [typewritten]
(Address) Stoneboro, Pa.
Sworn and subscribed before me
N. P.
this 19th day of October , 19 42.
(Seal) Helen Guyton
(Address) Stoneboro, Pa.

Affidavit of Non-Relative
State of Penna
County of Mercer ss.
I, Viola Guyton, being duly sworn on oath, do testify that the facts contained in the attached or foregoing are true and correct and that to the best of my knowledge William Newell McClelland
was born August 12, 1904
at Stoneboro, Mercer County, Pa. and
that I have known him for 38 years.
(What is the basis of your knowledge of the facts set forth herein?)
I have lived in Stoneboro all my life and remember the day he was born.
(Signature of Affiant)
Viola Guyton [typewritten]
(Address) Stoneboro, Pa.
Sworn and subscribed before me N. P.
this 19th day of October , 19 42 .
(Seal) Helen Guyton
(Address) Stoneboro, Pa.

Affidavit of Non-Relative
State of Penna
County of Mercer ss.
I, Emma Leathers, being duly sworn on oath, do testify that the facts contained in the attached or foregoing are true and correct that to the best of my knowledge William Newell McClelland
was born August 12, 1904
at Stoneboro, Mercer Co., Pa.
and that I have known him for 38 years.
(What is the basis of your knowledge of the facts set forth herein?)
Have lived in Stoneboro all my life and recall his birth
Signature of Affiant
Emma Leathers [typewritten]
(Address) Stoneboro, Pa.
Sworn and subscribed before me N. P.
this 19th day of October, 19 42 .
(Seal) Helen Guyton
(Address) Stoneboro, Pa.
The above are copies of affidavits on file.)

Notes and Comments about This Record
  • The records in this collection are arranged alphabetically by last name. I was unable to download or print the complete image (due to contract restrictions) but made 3 screenshots and stitched them together. In this transcription, the italics replace the words in the blanks on the original document.
  • This record gives me William's middle name, date of birth, and location of birth; his residence street and city when he filed this request; his parents' names, their places of birth, and their residence cities.
  • I find it interesting that one of Cub's non-relative affiants was his mother-in-law, Emma Leathers.
  • I also find it interesting that one of the affiants was Viola Guyton and the notary public was Helen Guyton.  Relatives, perhaps?

–Nancy.

Copyright ©2021, Nancy Messier.  All Rights Reserved. 
Do not copy or use any content from this blog without written permission from the owner. 

.

2 comments:

  1. A delayed birth certificate is a treasure! Nice research!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Colleen. This is a new set of records for me and I don't want to overlook relatives but sometimes it seems like I'm only going sideways in my research.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...