Thursday, December 16, 2021

Christmas Greetings from Robert Meinzen, Your Barber


When using OCR to search old newspapers it is always a delightful surprise to find advertisements for the business of one of my ancestors.  In this case, I found four ads from four different years placed by my grandfather, William Carl Robert Meinzen, most often known as Robert Meinzen during his lifetime.  I believe newspapers sent representatives to local businesses to ask them to buy ads in the newspapers.  So glad my grandfather did.  From left to right, these ads are from
  • The Niles Times, Monday, December 24, 1945
  • The Niles Daily Times, Wednesday, December 24, 1947
  • The Niles Daily Times, Saturday, December 23, 1950
  • The Niles Daily Times, Wednesday, December 24, 1952

In his younger years Grampa trained and worked as a barber in Steubenville, Ohio.  By 1920, when he was 28, he had become an electrician in a boiler shop, but by 1930 he and his family had settled in Mineral Ridge and he had returned to barbering.  He opened a shop on Main Street where he barbered until his retirement in the late 1950s.

Grampa worked at his shop well into the evening hours.  Because of this, Gramma sent a hot meal to the shop every night.  The older grandchildren were enlisted to carry the basket the two or three blocks to his shop to deliver it and were paid to do it.  I looked forward to this honor but, sadly for me, he retired before I became old enough.

With my grandfather I send you Cordial Greetings and wish you Happy Holidays and a Very Merry Christmas.

-–Nancy.

Copyright © 2021 Nancy Messier.  All Rights Reserved. 
Do not copy or use any content from this blog without written permission from the owner. 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...