Monday, February 20, 2023

Finds During Newspapers.com's Free Days

I don't subscribe to Newspapers.com so when it offers a free day, or several, I postpone what I can and put aside as much as possible so I can spend time searching.  If you don't have a subscription there are still a few hours left to search, depending on where you live, until 11:59 p.m. MT tonight, February 20, 2023.  You'll need to register but the searches and seeing the results are free.

I think I'm searched out for this round of free days.

What I found in U.S. newspapers
  • an obituary for my g-g-grandmother, Catherine (Saylor) Froman
  • several news tidbits about visits Catherine made to and with her sister
  • several advertisements which named my grandfather Gust Doyle
  • an obituary for my grandfather Gust Doyle
  • an obituary for my great-grandmother Tressa (Froman) Doyle
  • a marriage announcement for a grand-aunt, Elizabeth Doyle
  • a notice of a fire in my g-g-grandfather Andrew Doyle's home
  • notice of sale of property to my g-grandfather Fred Gerner
  • marriage announcement for a great-uncle, Paul Gerner
  • a court claim against a railroad filed by my great-grandfather Edward J. Bickerstaff
  • an obituary of one of my mother's cousins, Mary (Bickerstaff) Barnett
  • Amanda Gerner, a woman I believe is my g-grandfather Fred Gerner's sister-in-law

What I found in British newspapers
I was pleased to see that they've added more.
  • report of the inquest into my g-g-grandfather William Doyle's death (posted a few days ago)
  • honorary presentation to a man who may be my g-g-g-g-grandfather, Robert Reay  (More research is needed to confirm that this is my Robert Reay.)

  The ancestors I searched for and didn't find
  • My g-g-g-g-grandmother Mary Bell.  But I found a ship of the same name.  (Sigh.)
  • My g-g-grandfather Abel Armitage.  I know he's dead because he was born in 1821 but I can't find him after 1881.
  • Eliza (Hartley) Armitage, my g-g-grandmother and Abel's wife
  • Elizabeth (Laws) Doyle, my g-g-grandmother
  • My g-g-g-grandmother Martha (Reay) Doyle and her children just after the death of her husband William

I have several grandmothers who have ships of the same name:  Mary Bell, Elizabeth Laws, and I think there's an Eliza Hartley, too.  That makes searching a little more challenging.

Robert Laws is a common name.  My g-g-g-grandfather Robert Laws was a coal miner.  The others were Robert Laws, Esq.; Robert Laws, gardener (who won many competitions with his produce); Robert Laws, storekeeper; Dr. Robert Laws; Robert Laws, fish-curer; Robert Laws, China merchant; Robert Laws, farmer....  And these were all found in Northumberland newspapers!  It makes me think that Laws might have been almost as prevalent as Smith.

I have my work cut out for me to take care of these treasures.

—Nancy.

Copyright © 2023 Nancy Messier.  All Rights Reserved. 
Do not copy or use any content from this blog without written permission from the owner. 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...