Friday, May 2, 2014

Steamed Raisin Pudding - Family Recipe Friday

This is another recipe from my grandmother's Webster's Spelling Book turned recipe book.  I've never made a steamed pudding and I'm not sure how my family would respond to a recipe with raisins as the main ingredient.  During my childhood raisins were used much more frequently that they are in my home.

The recipe doesn't mention flouring the raisins but calls for adding "the floured raisins" along with the other dry ingredients.  Gramma probably sifted the dry ingredients together then tossed in the raisins, mixed them to coat them, then add them with the dry ingredients.  It makes sense to me.  That's what I would do.

Also, thinking about soda in a steamed pudding makes me think it rises as it's steaming.

Gramma did not include a recipe for Hard Sauce.  I suppose that recipe was memorized and became part of the repertoire of young cooks.

Steamed Raisin Pudding
1 1/4 cups Raisins
1/2     "    Molasses,
1/2    "     milk
1 7/8  "     flour
3 tablespoon fat.
1/2 teaspoon Soda.
1/2    "          Salt.
1/4    "         cloves.
1/4    "        allspice.
1/4    "       nutmeg.
Melt fat, add mollases
Milk, then the dry
ingredients which
have been sifted
together and the
floured raisins.
Beat well and
steam in a greased covered
tins 2 hrs.
Serve with hard
sauce.
If you try this recipe, I'd love to hear what you think of it.  Thanks.

You can see other recipes from this spelling tablet/booklet here.

--Nancy.
.

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious, I will try it out. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...