Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Courses at Copperweld Steel - Workday Wednesday

My father, Lee Doyle, took several courses at Copperweld Steel during the time he  worked there.  The first two were from the the Metals Engineering Institute.  The certificates are dated June 22 and October 15, 1959.  Dad would would have been working at Copperweld for about 18 years by that time.  I assume he took the courses after he became a foreman.

The first course was "Elements of Metallurgy" and the second was "Heat Treatment of Steel."  I could find no information about the courses themselves.  I believe they were offered in the offices of Copperweld and that he went early to work or stayed late.  I don't remember him studying a textbook at home but it's possible he did, or studied at work.

The Metals Engineering Institute was (and still is) a division of the American Society for Metals, currently known as ASM International.  Internet research tells me that the ASM was created in 1913.  Its headquarters are in Metals Park or Materials Park (depending on which resource one uses), Ohio.  The Park is home to the world's largest open-air geodesic dome.

ASM International's website is thorough but doesn't have information about the Metals Engineering Institute's courses in 1959.  Further information about ASM can be found in Scientific, Technical, and Related Societies of the United States at Google Books.

Another course my father took in 1966 was "Management Development."  It was offered through the Industrial Information Institute, Inc., and The Human Engineering Institute, Inc.  At this link is a little information about the Industrial Information Institute, Inc.  It seems to have been an organization local to Mahoning and surrounding counties.  I was unable to find reliable information about The Human Engineering Institute, Inc.  (With so much information available on the internet I am often surprised that, when researching my ancestors, I'm unable to locate information.  So it goes.)

There in one other course my father took at Copperweld Steel.  I'll leave that for a separate post.

--Nancy.

Copyright © 2009-2015 Nancy Messier. All Rights Reserved.Copyright © 2009-2015 Nancy Messier. All Rights Reserved.
.

4 comments:

  1. What an interesting story, Nancy. I'm sure as industry evolved, ongoing training was necessary. It looks like that as foreman, your dad was also given opportunities to improve his leadership skills in managing people. All in all, the training offered gives some interesting perspective on what the company was like to work for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about what the company offered its employees, especially in the form of training, giving perspective on company's support of its employees, Wendy. Dad wasn't very talkative about work but I wish I'd asked more questions and pushed to learn a little more.

      Delete
  2. I love that you have the certificates. It's great that he kept working at improving his skills. It says a lot about him that he kept working to improve on what he knew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom was a saver, especially of my dad's things, Michelle. I can't tell if the courses were mandatory or optional, but either way, he did keep learning.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...