Sunday, March 31, 2019

When You Get Just the Clippings

My mom was an avid reader of newspapers.  Not only did she like to read them, she liked to clip articles, obituaries, cartoons, poems, and any other item that took her fancy.  As a four- or five-year-old child I followed in her footsteps, at least as far as the clipping went.  One December, possibly after having discovered and learned how to use scissors, I began clipping "articles" and stuffing them into my little desk in our kitchen.  Mom was not happy to see the desk overflowing with long strips of newspaper.  While I could use scissors just fine, I obviously couldn't tell where one article ended and another began.  My older brother persuaded me that since Christmas was coming and so was Santa, I should get rid of the clippings and not cut any more.  I'm sure Mom was grateful to my brother for his intervention.

The sad thing about the articles my mom clipped is that she didn't include newspaper information.  No name, no date, no city of publication.  (Though she sometimes included a family relationship.)  All those wonderful obituaries and so many of them said things like "...died on Friday... in the city" or some other information that was not helpful without other details.  Perhaps, to my mom, seeing a newspaper article about an event in a person's life somehow validated the event.



Mom cut out the three articles above.  The first is the announcement of her own marriage to my father; the second is an obituary of Gust Froman, one of my father's great-uncles; and the last is an obituary for William N. McClelland, the husband of one of my father's Doyle cousins.  The last two are not relatives whose information would have been written down with specific dates included, at least not in information my parents kept.

I can imagine my parents trying to remember the date of one of these deaths by remembering what else had happened in close proximity to the date.  "Was that the year we bought the new Ford?  The leaves were beautiful colors when we drove to the funeral so maybe it was in October."  "No, I think we'd already had the new car several years...."  And it would go on until they finally remembered the probable month, date, and year.

It takes a lot of research to find the location of a news article like these when the only information is what's in the article.  These are the steps I follow when I do this kind of reverse research.
  1. I check FamilySearch, Ancestry, etc., for any information about the person but especially about where he lived at the oldest age I can find him alive.  The hope is to find a death certificate.
  2. After I've found a death date and location, I search for newspapers that were published locally at the time.
  3. Next I search to find whether those newspapers are available online and where.  If not, I try to find whether a library local to the decedent has the newspapers.
  4. I contact the library to learn whether the newspapers were microfilmed and are available for inter-library loan; whether they have a clippings database that's searchable online; whether they have someone who will search newspapers and send a clipping; or whether they have any other kind of service for obtaining a copy of the clipping.  It helps if I have the date of the newspaper.
  5. If I find the newspaper online or can obtain a microfilm, I perform a date-by-date and page-by-page search for the obituary.
  6. When I finally find the source of the clipping I record the heck out of where I found it and how the next person can find it too!

If several newspapers were published in the area, it multiplies the work.  And the fact is that some newspapers published several versions each day, each varying from the other with not all the same information included.  Often, only one version is available.

This is the minimum information I record for a newspaper clipping.  I may also include the search process, the names of any librarians or others who helped, the cost, etc.
> name of newspaper
> location of publication
> date of publication and edition
> title of clipping or if in a group of small articles, title of group
> page and column of clipping
> location where I found the newspaper
   > if a physical library I include the address and phone number
   > if online, I include the website name and the url to the image, plus date of access

If you have other tips for finding sources of clippings of obituaries and news articles like these, please share!

If you have clippings, NARA's Preserving Newspaper Clippings is a brief, helpful article.  The Archive Lady: How to Preserve Newspaper Clippings offers more detailed information about preserving clippings.


And should you like to create your own newspaper clipping, use The Newspaper Clipping Generator.  (I'm not sure how you would handle documentation, though.)

This post was written for Amy Johnson Crow's 2019 version of 52 Ancestors.  The post topic for the week was "In the Paper."

--Nancy.

Copyright ©2019, Nancy Messier.  All Rights Reserved. 
Do not copy or use any content from this blog without written permission from the owner. 

.

25 comments:

  1. Nice article as well as whole site.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This retired librarian appreciates your tips on finding original sources. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good, Virginia. I hope you find them helpful when you're searching for sources for your own clippings.

      Delete
  3. I have some newspaper clippings like yours, but mine are easy to figure out since there was only one newspaper where the person doing the clipping lived and one newspaper in the nearest big city.

    Here is a tip I used for checking for plagiarism when I taught how to research and write a research paper although it might not work for OLD newspapers available only in a database: I simply copy and paste a UNIQUE phrase from the article into Google and see what pops up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Wendy, I like that search suggestion! Thank you for sharing it.

      It does make it easier to search clippings when there was only one newspaper.

      Delete
  4. Nancy, I enjoyed your unique post. My mother was the opposite, she documented everything...only thing is there is very little. We moved so many times, so I think she threw out a lot prior to each move. Very good hints about finding an original copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara. Good for your mom to document, sad that so little was left after many moves. It's hard to take it when we move though I would tend to hold on to the family history research and let some other things go.

      Delete
  5. Wow. I'd like to try the Newspaper Clipping Generator! Thanks for sharing bath information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can try the online line version, Colleen, but wouldn't it be great if we could actually recreate old, published articles with a "generator?"

      Delete
  6. I'm impressed by your systematic and comprehensive method to identify newspaper clippings without the dates. Definitely should come in handy when I have more time to dig back into the Family Archives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Liz. I know newspaper clippings are a lower priority than some other kinds of research but if you ever need/want to document clippings with little information, I hope my suggestions are helpful to you.

      Delete
  7. My great grandmother had 4 scrapbooks full of newspaper clippings. You have some great tips to find the sources, what I lack is the time to search for ALL of these. Some of them I have found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura. Oh, yes, you're right, it does take a lot of time to reverse search for newspaper names and dates. I think the trick is to search when a clipping gives you helpful information that would be more helpful knowing where it was published. For instance, if it's about an accident, a newspaper might have published several articles, which could be really helpful.

      Delete
  8. Great post Nancy. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now, could you go back in time and talk to my mom and grandmother about this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Well, Laura, if I could I would, but only if you introduce us.

      Delete
  10. Great job reverse-engineering your mom's clippings. Some excellent tips, which I'm sure we could all use at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tips for tracking down the source!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on your tenacity in tracing the details of your family cuttings. A very interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue. I wish I could say I've tracked down all the clippings!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...